Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

New ex-bat trying to roost in doorway

(13 Posts)
bananabrain Fri 05-Jun-09 09:57:13

Hi, I got my 1st ever chickens last Sunday, 3 ex-bats, and I LOVE THEM! But I have a question for any experts out there... every night except one, one chicken has decided to sit half-in-half-out of the door to their house at the top of the ramp (until midnight last night when I finally managed to give her a helping hand inside!) All times but one it has been the one that seems to be the bossiest, on one night it was another one. Sometimes the bossy one doesn't want to let the others in so she blocks their way (she sat on top of one of them, squashed in the doorway, for about an hour one night...) but she carries on sitting there after the others are in too.
Do you think this is just about establishing the pecking order, or something else? They have about 3ft of perch inside for 3 of them.
Should I carry on trying to push her inside (gently!) or just leave the door open - the rrun is enclosed. I like to think that they are safe and snug and night so I haven't felt happy leaving it open.
Any ideas welcome!

thesockmonsterofdoom Fri 05-Jun-09 10:00:15

I would just put her to bed, they have never roosted before so they have a lot to learn about being chickens.
You will find this the m ost rewarding experience, my ex batts are now fully feathered and part of the flock, it is great to see.

bananabrain Fri 05-Jun-09 22:05:26

Thanks sockmonster. I'll carry on doing that then. In fact tonight they have all put themselves to bed right inside, but I suspect she'll be up to her doorway tricks again another night! We let them out of their run for the first time tonight and it was lovely to see them out in the garden, though they were very careful and stayed by the run. It's amazing what instincts they have for scrabbling around in the ground and going up to roost - considering the life they've had so far. Looking at them you wouldn't think they'd never been outside before 6 days ago.

thesockmonsterofdoom Sat 06-Jun-09 07:51:56

I'll try and get a photo of my girls now (day we got them is on my profile) you wont believe hiow quickly that happens, we got them in feb

OrmIrian Sat 06-Jun-09 08:02:46

Sorry but what is an ex-bat? hmm

GentleOtter Sat 06-Jun-09 08:26:51

Ex battery hen OrmIrian.

OrmIrian Sat 06-Jun-09 08:29:38

Thankyou otter.

Was having the stranges imaginings.

RustyBear Sat 06-Jun-09 09:04:52

Me too, OrmIrian, on my iPhone the topic line is too small to read & I was thinking WTF, she's got the ghost of a bat roosting in her doorway?

GentleOtter Sat 06-Jun-09 09:09:07

My paranoia was thinking that there would be a link to the Soupybat picture.....grin

thesockmonsterofdoom Sat 06-Jun-09 09:52:07

pmsl at ghost bat.

Kayteee Sat 06-Jun-09 10:04:54

ghost bat!!

thesockmonsterofdoom Sat 06-Jun-09 10:06:12

kt, nobody is that stupid, you have to hide him better than that. grin

bananabrain Sat 06-Jun-09 11:16:50

grin grin grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now