Talk

Advanced search

Ex-Battery Hens Looking For New Homes Please

(18 Posts)
Owls Tue 12-May-09 13:07:42

Apparently 10,000 are being released as a farm in Norfolk is closing down. New homes desperately sought. Even if you can offer only 1 or 2 a home that would be great.

Please if you can help the contact email is littlehenrescue@googlemail.com.

SoupDragon Tue 12-May-09 13:13:24

Too far for me to collect them unfortunately. I've been dithering about chickens for ages.

Owls Tue 12-May-09 13:20:41

SoupDragon, my understanding, from my sister who is having a couple, is that they can be picked up from various points around the country. You could always e-mail and ask them or I could try and find out some more if you like?

Apparently the hen rescue people have until 28th June to re-home as many as they can.

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 12-May-09 13:23:06

have passed email on to intersted friends, hope hey get in touch.

Owls Tue 12-May-09 13:44:14

Thank you morethan, that's kind of you.

SoupDragon Tue 12-May-09 14:11:11

I did register with the battery hen welfare trust but wimped out as I couldn't quite get my head around the requirements of chicken keeping (they'd have to be permanently in a run because of resident foxes).

morethanyoubargainfor Tue 12-May-09 14:17:37

i would love to help out myself, but i don't have enough land, and i also have a bird loving (as in wants to play with them!) dog, and i don' think they would cope with the games grin

Owls Tue 12-May-09 21:19:50

Hopeful evening bump for the hens. smile

Nekabu Wed 13-May-09 09:35:46

Battery hen welfare trust are a nightmare! Their list of requirements have put off every single person I know who's tried to get hens from them, including myself. Got another two girls arriving this week to add to mine - tried to rehome some from the welfare trust but got totally fed up and so have a couple of point of lay pullets arriving.

SoupDragon Wed 13-May-09 15:30:44

Their requirements can't put of everyone given that their rehoming slots are full.

Nekabu Wed 13-May-09 21:07:12

As I said, they've put off everyone I know though. Glad to hear they aren't putting off everyone and that ex-batteries are getting new homes!

BouncingTurtle Sat 16-May-09 08:10:30

I just had this message in my Freecycle Cafe digest.
Just thought I would give it a bump

thesockmonsterofdoom Sat 16-May-09 08:16:39

I got 3 from BHWT earl;uier this year, so I am full up, sorry, i would also like to say that I have found BHWT to be fantastic, the only requirements I was given was that te hens would be free range. quite reasonable.
I have heard of this little hen rescue a few times, I hope they do it, If you know of anything I can do to help other than take more girls please let me know. To anyone thinking about it, getting the ex batts earlier this year was so rewarding, they are already healthy, fully feathered and layting every day, please do not ever be put off. smile it is wonderful watching them develop ionto real hens.

SoupDragon Sat 16-May-09 08:20:59

Do they actually check that they are free range? I can't have free range chickens because of a resident fox.

thesockmonsterofdoom Sat 16-May-09 08:27:35

you would be suprised what actually classes as free range. mine are free range if they never left their run.

spugs Sat 16-May-09 11:41:23

oops i just started a thread on this, sorry

LaurieFairyCake Sat 16-May-09 11:51:25

I have emailed them to say I could take 3 or 4. I'm in Herts though so hopefully there will be more local pick up points.

Thanks for this smile

mrsrawlinson Tue 02-Jun-09 18:24:17

We might be able to have 3 or so as well. I'm going to e-mail them now. Time to pop our chicken-keeping cherry, I think!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now