Talk

Advanced search

Breaking a broody?

(12 Posts)

I don't have a cage with a wire/mesh floor, so what else can I do? If I just turf her out the coop and shut the door tomorrow morning so she can't get back in will she soon forget about it? I have another broody thats on hatching eggs and don't have space for two of them to be at it.

hellymelly Thu 07-May-09 23:38:32

I am just turfing mine out after the others have laid and then keeping her shut out till bed time,but its been three or four days now and she is still broody,and I feel very mean!

Nekabu Sat 09-May-09 09:31:47

Depends on the breed. I have Orpingtons and they are broody beyond all reason. Nothing seems to break them!

ouchitreallyhurts Sun 17-May-09 09:36:46

mine have all stopped laying now because of bossy broody girl have tried the wire mesh cage but to no avail.
next door have some hatching eggs so might have to lend her to them to sit on some..

PremenstrualChickens Wed 20-May-09 14:00:33

Gawd, I wish I knew! I have two broody pekins, and nothing works. One girl has been broody for getting on six weeks! I go out and turf them out of the nestbox mid morning, and block it off. They tend to ramble around the garden muttering for a bit and then make themselves a nest elsewhere. I have even tried dunking them in a bucket of cold water to cool them down. Just pissed them off, tbh!

Doodle2U Wed 20-May-09 14:04:23

Went of for weeks with Broody Nora last year.

I've got a cat-carrier filled with straw. When one goes broody, she's going in there and she can sit it out on her own.

I'm going to turf out for 15 minutes in morn and 15 minutes at night, to make sure food and drink are taken on board but for the rest of the time - leave them to get on with it.

Have you noticed their poo stinks to high hell when they're broody - apparently, it's the norm but I hadn't heard about it til last year.

PremenstrualChickens Wed 20-May-09 14:29:48

Broody poo is rotten!!! Bleurgh! And has the consistency of tar!

bramblebooks Wed 20-May-09 14:47:30

I share your pain! I have a growly hormonal broody speckledy with stinky poo. I've been putting bokashi bran in the feed but not sure if it's helped at all.

Nekabu Fri 22-May-09 09:37:46

One of mine finally stopped being broody (after refusing all efforts to break her of it) and now another one is at it ...

PremenstrualChickens Tue 02-Jun-09 15:48:14

I finally managed to break my determined broody by confining her to a make shift run in the garage for two days. The cold concrete floor seemed to do the trick grin

burge1 Fri 05-Jun-09 21:52:18

For the year I've had 3 chickens rarely have I had 3 eggs a day!! Either broody, or now not broody just not laying! They have too much of the good life I think!

floaty Sun 07-Jun-09 18:46:09

i have 2 broody pekins and its driving me nuts!Bit of me is appy to let them getn on with it ,which was Ok just one but 2 is going too far!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now