Talk

Advanced search

Help! my chicken is poorly

(7 Posts)
Judy59 Tue 21-Apr-09 20:06:25

I have only had chickens for a couiple of months and one of them has started sneezing every few minutes. Otherwise seems quite ok, should I be worried?

ellie251 Wed 22-Apr-09 11:19:17

we have had chickens for a few years now, i think this is just like a cold would be for us! you can get some stuff to boost their health- we had some powder, just ask at where ever u get your layers pellets from. as long as chicken is eating and drinking it should be fine. hope this helps.smile

MarmadukeScarlet Wed 22-Apr-09 11:29:19

Get some poultry spice and some Apple cider vinegar.

Add poultry spice to food, 1 teaspoon per 10 birds iirc and ACV 3oml per litre drinking water (help someone I cannot remember) for a week each month.

shhhh Fri 12-Jun-09 20:57:50

bumping this..my sister has just got chickens as is new to it all...her's are also sneezing.. advice appreciated smile.

afaik, they are eating and drinking well..

bramblebooks Fri 12-Jun-09 21:21:01

my chickens sneezed when they were new. stress, apparently.

*am not a vet, so any concerns, take hen to poultry vet* but ... is the chicken otherwise well? Look for illness signs such as pale floppy comb, listlessness, hunching, discharge from eyes, beak, vent and get treatment.

shhhh Fri 12-Jun-09 21:28:34

Thanks bramblebooks, will pass info onto my sister x

LittleB Mon 15-Jun-09 13:43:55

Hi Shhhh!! 2 of my 5 chickens did this too, and one of them stopped laying, I rang the breeder who popped by and gave them an antibiotic injection to stop them getting chest infections. 2 of them are currently sneezing again but are still laying ok and seem to be getting better now so I haven't troubled the breeder this time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now