Talk

Advanced search

Sick chicken .... help please!

(12 Posts)
murphyslaw Tue 20-Jan-09 13:41:46

I am new to chicken keeping. Got 3 Buff orpington hens last summer and they started laying in October. All has been going well but I noticed yesterday one isnt eating. She seems lively in herself but just isnt feeding even on corn which they all love.

What do I do?

PuzzleRocks Tue 20-Jan-09 21:11:11

Bumping for you.

bronze Wed 21-Jan-09 12:57:11

I have no idea. Could it be worms? Have you checked for mite and lice they can drain them pretty quickly. Maybe shes found a secret stash of food and is full (yeah right)

murphyslaw Wed 21-Jan-09 15:31:31

Still very unwell - hasnt come out from coop all day. Not eating or drinking now. Considering taking to vet???

tortoiseshellWasMusicaYearsAgo Wed 21-Jan-09 15:36:54

murphyslaw - you could try her on a high protein feed - have you got a cardboard box or something you could bring her inside in? They respond well to heat - line it with straw, and try giving her a mixture of beef organic cat food, hard boiled egg yolks, poultry spice. That perks mine up if they're a bit off colour. Try syringing some water into her beak (but make sure you don't let it go down the little hole into her lungs).

murphyslaw Thu 22-Jan-09 11:07:51

My hen died last nightsad but thank you for all your messages. Cant bear myself to move her will wait until DH comes home. Never lost one before and I am devastated.

Doodle2U Tue 27-Jan-09 19:12:44

sad Ahhh ML - i missed this thread. Sorry to hear about your little hen. Any ideas yet about what may have killed her?

bramblebooks Tue 27-Jan-09 19:20:20

So sorry to hear this xx

murphyslaw Wed 28-Jan-09 11:21:46

no idea - 2 left now sad

mehgalegs Wed 28-Jan-09 11:42:40

Oh dear. Sorry you have lost a chook. They are very prone to respiratory problems this time of year. Was she wheezy at all?

Are the others well?

Ratface Wed 28-Jan-09 13:09:55

ive lost a few too, also fairly new to it all.
sympathy.

murphyslaw Fri 30-Jan-09 09:07:58

No she wasnt wheezy just went down hill over 3-4 days. didnt eat or drink. Felt like a right idiot taking her to the vet! hmm who gave her antiobiotics. They didnt really know what was wrong. At least I did what I could for her. Other 2 appear to be well.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: