Talk

Advanced search

Sick chicken .... help please!

(12 Posts)
murphyslaw Tue 20-Jan-09 13:41:46

I am new to chicken keeping. Got 3 Buff orpington hens last summer and they started laying in October. All has been going well but I noticed yesterday one isnt eating. She seems lively in herself but just isnt feeding even on corn which they all love.

What do I do?

PuzzleRocks Tue 20-Jan-09 21:11:11

Bumping for you.

bronze Wed 21-Jan-09 12:57:11

I have no idea. Could it be worms? Have you checked for mite and lice they can drain them pretty quickly. Maybe shes found a secret stash of food and is full (yeah right)

murphyslaw Wed 21-Jan-09 15:31:31

Still very unwell - hasnt come out from coop all day. Not eating or drinking now. Considering taking to vet???

tortoiseshellWasMusicaYearsAgo Wed 21-Jan-09 15:36:54

murphyslaw - you could try her on a high protein feed - have you got a cardboard box or something you could bring her inside in? They respond well to heat - line it with straw, and try giving her a mixture of beef organic cat food, hard boiled egg yolks, poultry spice. That perks mine up if they're a bit off colour. Try syringing some water into her beak (but make sure you don't let it go down the little hole into her lungs).

murphyslaw Thu 22-Jan-09 11:07:51

My hen died last nightsad but thank you for all your messages. Cant bear myself to move her will wait until DH comes home. Never lost one before and I am devastated.

Doodle2U Tue 27-Jan-09 19:12:44

sad Ahhh ML - i missed this thread. Sorry to hear about your little hen. Any ideas yet about what may have killed her?

bramblebooks Tue 27-Jan-09 19:20:20

So sorry to hear this xx

murphyslaw Wed 28-Jan-09 11:21:46

no idea - 2 left now sad

mehgalegs Wed 28-Jan-09 11:42:40

Oh dear. Sorry you have lost a chook. They are very prone to respiratory problems this time of year. Was she wheezy at all?

Are the others well?

Ratface Wed 28-Jan-09 13:09:55

ive lost a few too, also fairly new to it all.
sympathy.

murphyslaw Fri 30-Jan-09 09:07:58

No she wasnt wheezy just went down hill over 3-4 days. didnt eat or drink. Felt like a right idiot taking her to the vet! hmm who gave her antiobiotics. They didnt really know what was wrong. At least I did what I could for her. Other 2 appear to be well.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now