Talk

Advanced search

where did you get your chickens from?

(10 Posts)
oops Tue 28-Oct-08 08:26:40

Message withdrawn

TheDuchessOfNorksDied Tue 28-Oct-08 10:07:18

If you happen to be passing through Sussex I'm selling hens at the moment!

I have bought hens from Mumbles Farm in Borough Green, Kent - but that's hardly local to you either.

Bumping for the London chicken-keepers really...!

mumpleasemayi Tue 28-Oct-08 18:00:20

I got mine from a lovely place near Letchworth North herts, not that far from you, they do hybrids and pure breeds.

oops Tue 28-Oct-08 22:52:54

Message withdrawn

mumpleasemayi Wed 29-Oct-08 07:55:09

Well the place is called Thornes, I think you can get the number off the net!? Give them a call and they will let you know what hens they have in.( if you cant find the number mail me and i will give it to you williamslouise58 @ hotmail . com )smile

wonderpetsmum Sun 02-Nov-08 20:01:12

we got ours from the battery hen welfare trust - go on give some poor little souls a home.
Our 3 girls are so tame and lovely, bit bald at first, but lay an egg each most days

partystress Sun 02-Nov-08 20:09:03

Hi We recently got three lovely brown hens (they are cross between Sussex Whites and Rhode Island reds I think)from Woodside Farm near Liton (just off the A5 at Markyate.). The farm itself is a children's farm with all teh usual stuff, but onthe same site is the Bedforshire Poultry centre, sell all the feed etc as well. Ours started laying within a week of getting home with us. Good luck!

partystress Sun 02-Nov-08 20:09:38

Hi We recently got three lovely brown hens (they are cross between Sussex Whites and Rhode Island reds I think)from Woodside Farm near Liton (just off the A5 at Markyate.). The farm itself is a children's farm with all the usual stuff, but on the same site is the Bedforshire Poultry centre, sell all the feed etc as well. Ours started laying within a week of getting home with us. Good luck!

massivepants Sun 02-Nov-08 20:17:54

I am a new mum's netter, do I need to start a new thread? It's a hen problem, mine have completely stopped laying, since they got locked out of their house last Monday and all went to bed on the ground. Do you think they are sulking or is it just the cold weather?

AppleAndBlackberry Mon 03-Nov-08 12:09:19

Hi massivepants. I think you'll get more responses if you start a new thread, but I'll try and answer your question anyway. I've only had chickens for a few months so I'm not an expert, but I think stress can cause them to stop laying for a bit. Also lots of breeds stop laying over the Winter too so it could be either.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now