Talk

Advanced search

She said, there's something in the chook shed...

(10 Posts)

My chook house is inundated (slight exaggeration perhaps) with tiny flies, they have wings but seem to fly very badly and more leap about.

I don't know what they are, and having never seen a louse or mite I suppose that is what they might be.

I drenched them all in Poultry shield last clean and that seemed to put pay to the critters, but have been v.ill with a chest infection and they were overdue a clean - cleaned them today and there were a few flies in there again.

Scrubbbed the whole lot out with Jeyes fluid today - kinder on the lungs than sprayin with PS (?) so they are gone again now.

Anyone know?

geekgirl Mon 27-Oct-08 18:56:29

my poultry house used to get those too - don't know what they are but they always went when I swept the house out. Never used any chemicals...
It'll be interesting to find out what they are!

snigger Mon 27-Oct-08 19:00:59

I can't help with your critter problem sadly, but I've dug out my Divine Comedy best of for the first time in ages grin

I'll be humming that for days....

Doodle2U Mon 27-Oct-08 19:04:15

Have you ever noticed similar in your compost bin?

Glad to be of service - I just love that song. grin

It embarasses the DC when I sing it and makes DS tell me to be quiet!

I sometimes have the odd fruit fly, is that what they are?

GentleGarotter Mon 27-Oct-08 19:07:24

Some info here but pretty horrible to read...

Winebeforepearls Mon 27-Oct-08 19:08:22

fruit flies?

And I lurve that song too. His voice is just grin

Thanks Garotter, not either of those though.

thesockmonsterofdoom Thu 30-Oct-08 15:56:57

we have that somethimes, I spray watered down citronella oil at them, seemd to work. I always assumed they were just attracyted to the rather bright orangeyness of my cube.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now