Talk

Advanced search

do chickens make good "pets".......how much care is involved...

(8 Posts)
mellyonion Tue 21-Oct-08 09:17:29

my dh is obsessive about getting some chickens...i know nothing at all about it!

exactly how much care is involved with them?

do they interact with people (the kids!) or like to be left alone?

any advice or words of wisdom most appreciated. thanks.

smile

vjg13 Tue 21-Oct-08 18:12:11

Chickens make brilliant pets.

Ours are very social and follow you round scrounging for treats. As soon as I open the back door they charge up.

My kids love them and the eggs are delicious. They don't need too much care but have made the lawn a muddy mess.

I still love them. smile

ProfYaffle Tue 21-Oct-08 18:31:52

My kids hate our chickens! They drew blood from dd2's fingers, she calls them 'chick chicks oww' and bellows 'away chick chicks!' at them. 4yo dd1 screams every time they come near her.

I still love having chickens though we see them as egg machines rather than pets. They're not terribly cuddly but they are entertaining. They make loads of poo which is a pita.

reallybusy Thu 23-Oct-08 14:17:36

Chickens are fab! We have four and although the garden is covered in chicken poo (they were released from their penned off area after a few weeks), they look so pretty.

jumpingbeans Thu 23-Oct-08 14:20:31

They make good.... pies

mellyonion Fri 24-Oct-08 07:49:45

thanks everyone...i'm not so keen...wondering if it is a toally silly idea for us, but hubby and kids are keen....

will give it some more thought.

is there a good website or magazine or something for me to find out the absolute basics before we make any decisions?

ta.
grin

vjg13 Fri 24-Oct-08 08:25:12

Amazon has some good basic books on chickens, have a look at the omlet website too.

smellybunion Fri 24-Oct-08 10:09:57

fab...thanks very much for that.

i love on the omlet website that it gives you text signs for chickens....what more can a girl ask for! grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: