Talk

Advanced search

Sick Chicken! Urgent advice needed please...

(5 Posts)
ingles2 Fri 26-Sep-08 16:53:55

1 of my marans is sick or injured.
She is on her feet and just staggered over when I got the corn out. She immediately started eating so that's ok. However she is lopsided and crouched over. She can lift her head but not for long, one wing is stuck out and the other is very close to her body. she is also losing feathers at an alarming rate. Can't pick her up as I'm on my own at the mo and she is very big.
Any thoughts?
oh, she's at least 4 btw

tortoiseshell Fri 26-Sep-08 23:12:58

4 is a pretty good age! No idea what might be wrong with her - could be a stroke?

If I were you I would bring her into the warm, isolate her in a cardboard box in the house, give her lots of water and good food (you could try beef cat food or hardboiled egg with poultry spice if you have some) and see how she goes. Hope she's ok in the morning.

ingles2 Sat 27-Sep-08 09:18:54

Thanks tortoiseshell,... I know all my chooks are all a good age, still laying well though.
Anyway, she's just the same. Managed to get hold of her last night. Had a good feel all over, nothing out of the ordinary really. Didn't seem in any pain.
Her crop feels a bit strange, wasn't full like normal at the end of the day. I have a feeling she's eaten something she shouldn't. No idea what though, as they free range and go where they like, including the field next door. I guess I'm going to have to wait and see.

fallingstandards Tue 30-Sep-08 12:59:14

Any news about the poor chookie??

danceontherun Wed 08-Oct-08 19:50:45

We had a chicken with similar syptoms. One day she just lost her balance forever. She could only stand if she had one wing out to balance her. But she continued eating and drinking well. However she did give up in the end. We think it was due to her age (at least 4 probs nearer 5)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: