Talk

Advanced search

buff orpingtons - when will they start laying?

(7 Posts)
murphyslaw Sun 21-Sep-08 18:29:51

My girls are 24 weeks old (we have had them since they were 10 weeks) at what age will they start to lay???

tortoiseshell Sun 21-Sep-08 18:33:10

no idea! They can vary a lot - any time from 24 weeks onwards I would say. Watch for their combs and wattles reddening up, and starting to crouch when you are near - these are all signs of imminent eggs!

tortoiseshell Sun 21-Sep-08 18:33:13

no idea! They can vary a lot - any time from 24 weeks onwards I would say. Watch for their combs and wattles reddening up, and starting to crouch when you are near - these are all signs of imminent eggs!

DaisySteiner Sun 21-Sep-08 18:52:25

You might find that the days are too short now for them to start laying this year and they may wait until next spring.

murphyslaw Sun 21-Sep-08 18:57:23

daisy dont tell me that! I cant wait for that first egg! grin

DaisySteiner Sun 21-Sep-08 19:00:32

Well I might be wrong - it has been known grin

NappiesGalore Tue 23-Sep-08 23:06:30

i have a young orpington... dunno how many weeks exactly as i forgot to ask when i bought her blush... and ive no idea if shes laying or not yet tbh. her comb and wattle are reddening a bit but she and the cochin (same age) are still v skittish... actually maybe its the cochin whos reddening up... hmm.
we're not short of eggs mind. 8 other hybrid layers keep us stocked smile

what colour are orpy eggs supposed to be??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now