Talk

Advanced search

Stooopid quick question Chicken Lovers.What is the minimum height a chicken run can be?

(5 Posts)
TurkeyLurkey Fri 05-Sep-08 20:20:52

We have a large run we were going to try and use for the chickens when they come, its only 18 inches high though.
Is that high enough for a Warren chicken or ISA Brown as its sometimes known? (its a bog standard chickeny looking chicken, not a big or fancy breed).

Scared they will bang their heads on the top if its not high enough.

Thank you!

TheDuchessOfNork Fri 05-Sep-08 20:36:16

I've looked at the tape measure and it's too close to judge! I'll measure a chicken up for you tomorrow. grin

If the run is too low, could you raise it on double row of bricks, brieze blocks or railway sleepers etc?

TurkeyLurkey Fri 05-Sep-08 20:46:46

Ooh yes please! Most of the time they'll be free ranging, they'll only be in the run when we're not there to put them in at night, just don't want them to have to crouch down while they are in there grin

Hard to judge how tall a chicken is when its not in front of you IYSWIM

TheDuchessOfNork Fri 26-Sep-08 10:23:33

Sorry - have been too busy to MN and whenever I remembered this thread it was dark and then hens were shut in.

18" is just about OK for my 14wk big chicks but my full-sized hens would need at least 22" and 25-30" will give them space to head stretching up and hop onto low outdoor perches.

Are you planning to move the run around the garden? If not, I'd raise it as I said in my last post. Having a border will also keep any bark chippings etc in place and reduce draughts.

TurkeyLurkey Fri 26-Sep-08 16:41:03

Thanks Norks. I now have my chickens! DH raised the run to 2 ft and they have plenty of headroom with that. I let them free range all day all over the garden so they are not confined to the run. They will only really use the run if we are not there to lock them in at night.
I love them though, they are like little dogs following me about.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now