Talk

Advanced search

anyone know where i can get a good wheel set to attach to the bottom of a bog standard shed to make it into a mobile chicken house?

(19 Posts)
BloodySmartarse Mon 01-Sep-08 21:12:38

apologies for the endless housing search!!

have decided the hosue needs to be mobile, and needs to be big enough to 'grow into' (currently have 10 birds, more wanted)

the large houses i can find with wheel options are smiths 'sherwood' and littleacre's dartford. both are quite pricey tho, and as i want to also get a moveable (carry handles) walk in run large enough to keep the girls in if we go away for a short while... and a shed is easily enough converted, i want to find the most economical option (barring getting a shed that will be gnawed into by rats/fall down/knocked over by foxes)

where on earth would i look for a wheel set to stick on a shed tho?? cant think...

CSLG Tue 02-Sep-08 13:10:00

We got some from a building suppliers - can't for the life of me remember the name of it though.

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 17:40:51

OK CSLG, THAnks for the tip... will look into builder suppliers now.

elmoandella Tue 02-Sep-08 17:55:57

i have visions of you pushing chickens around in a pram with chicken coup on top

CSLG Tue 02-Sep-08 17:59:09

The pram idea might be a good one - very cute and you could take them out for a walk with you

MatNanPlus Tue 02-Sep-08 18:02:12

wheels

Measure the shed floor and make a sub floor to attach the wheels to and support the shed floor as most ashed floors re not build to be unsupported!

elmoandella Tue 02-Sep-08 18:02:39

wonder if daily walks would help egg production?

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 21:20:00

<snort> at pram full of chickens... im pretty odd but not quite that far gone yet. mind you, might give the village something to talk about for a while.... hehehe

those wheels look good matnanplus, thank you... but i need something much bigger i think. the ground they will be on is grassed and rutted and was hoping the wheels would take the house about a foot or so off the ground... any other ideas?? [cheeky]

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 21:20:34

elmos, you sarky cow, bog off will ya? winkgrin

elmoandella Tue 02-Sep-08 21:26:50

if it helped egg production i'd do it. haven't had chickens since i was young. remember then being a bit fussy though.

i'd try anything that makes more eggs and bigger juicier chickens. [yummy lip licking emoticon] roast chicken with garlic and rosemary!

gotta be one of those old style silver cross ones. a twin one. so you could get a few at a time in it. otherwise you'd be back and forth all day giving them all equal walking length.

BloodySmartarse Tue 02-Sep-08 21:44:41

youre off your head, you are...

i like you smile

saltnshake Tue 02-Sep-08 23:35:48

I've used old lawn mower wheels on mine.

Doodle2U Tue 02-Sep-08 23:42:19

Silver Cross pram wheels were always the best for Go-Karts in my day. Look on the For Sale boards and see if anyone is flogging an auld pram! grin

elmoandella Wed 03-Sep-08 10:04:41

actually....... old silver cross wheels with a longer chassis would probably work.get an old set of wheels. take them to your local ironmongers and get them to fit a bar and connectors of somesort. if they're anything like my local iron mongers they will probably charge for parts and be under £10. mines likes a challenge rather than his usual request for a bolt of xyz size

cupsoftea Wed 03-Sep-08 10:07:42

What about the wheels used on saffolding platforms? like those used by painters etc

overthemill Wed 03-Sep-08 10:12:30

we have a house that comes on wheels and having looked at smiths site (never heard of them before) they do an option with wheels

MatNanPlus Wed 03-Sep-08 11:52:30

bigger and a 1" steel bar to fit them to and hey presto

BloodySmartarseToTheRescue Wed 03-Sep-08 11:59:41

ooh, you beauties. thank you SO much smilesmile

MatNanPlus Wed 03-Sep-08 19:53:00

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now