Talk

Advanced search

Oh dear, just had our first experience of an egg bound chicken and it wasn't good. TMI alert

(5 Posts)
mehgalegs Mon 01-Sep-08 13:47:25

My few remaining sassos are about to come into lay. I noticed on Friday that one was not eating with the others and she was rather hunched and quiet. Put boys to bed and then went to investigate.

Poor thing had a very bloody vent and lots of white poo and was straining. Got Dh to have a look, he actually stuck his fingers up and released two eggs and a part formed egg, sadly she had prolapsed and we decided that she would be no good as a layer and she is now a meat chicken (in the freezer) sad.

On a positive note she is the first hen sasso that we have prepared and she has an amazing amount of meat, even her wings were very meaty.

NutterlyUts Mon 01-Sep-08 13:48:26

Where did you get your sassos from?

mehgalegs Mon 01-Sep-08 13:55:58

Nutts - I got them as hatching eggs from smartchicks.

I am now keeping four sasso hens with my IG rooster and hope to breed our own meat birds from them.

They are very fast growing, really healthy looking birds. And very tasty too.

NutterlyUts Mon 01-Sep-08 14:03:49

Fab thanks. I am looking for a decent egg layer that is also a good meal. I'm tempted to get a couple of sassos, and mix em with light sussex, rhodies and maybe even a jersey giant or two. How well do they lay?

mehgalegs Mon 01-Sep-08 17:56:45

They haven't started yet. The one that died was trying to so I presume the others will be the same.

My first job tomorrow is to make them some cosy nest boxes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now