Talk

Advanced search

Is she just broody?

(5 Posts)
petitmaman Wed 27-Aug-08 13:00:07

My hen has been sitting in the hen house since monday unless forcibly moved (dh did, i have just left her to it) not even sure she is coming into the run for food and water. was just working out how to prepare the dds for her (clearly iminent) death but have just thought, is she just broody?
no cockeral and chicken about a year old, not been like this before but she is a black rook and i dont think they are known for their broodiness. what do the wise chicken keepers of mn think?

petitmaman Wed 27-Aug-08 17:38:12

ok, stop the huge rush of replies everyone .smile have worked out that she is and am looking into fertilized eggs!

Madlentileater Wed 27-Aug-08 17:39:19

enjoy!

BloodySmartarse Wed 27-Aug-08 17:40:47

lol

bit quiet on chickenkeepers atm, all the wise sages must be out looking after the birds.

one of mine went broody a little while back, so i got fertilized eggs off ebay. sadly none of them hatched between one thing and two, but its kinda nice to have them all back roaming about and a chance to clean out the cube good and proper smile

good luck with hatching!

TheDuchessOfNork Wed 27-Aug-08 19:38:34

I've been out playing with our 3rd batch of chicks this year. Never fails to amaze me how very small they are to start with. (Nor how bloody fast they grow).

Good luck with the fertilised eggs. Give your broody neat corn if you can, it has much more fat/energy than pellets and will make her poo's a bit drier, should she go in the nest. Warning: broody hen poo really, really, stinks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now