Talk

Advanced search

Help, sick chicken (and I think I've caught it)

(14 Posts)
MarmadukeScarlet Wed 20-Aug-08 12:44:22

Upped my flock from 4 to 9 a week ago Sat, one Amber (named Rosa by DD)that my DD picked had been out in the rain so looked a bit bedraggled.

Kept them all seperate from old hens for 2 days to check health/lice etc.

Rosa seemed to be eating and drinking ok (although all new hens drink much more than oldies) but would often be asleep with eyes closed in pen, have never seen any of my others do this.

I checked her and she smells horrid (a strange sweet but offensive smell) and has a bit of a runny nose, also has bright orange runny poo. Brought her in and dosed her with cider vinegar and rescue remedy, she perked right up so after 24 hrs I put her back out (last Sat).

I emailed seller on Sun who thinks she didn't get enough of mycoplasma vaccine and would send something for her water.

I looked up mycoplasmosis and it seems like a sinus infection, but I'd say she was more than this.

Anyway she is sick again, so I've brought her back in and am taking her to the vet later.

BUT I am also now ill, have been since Sat (handled sick bird alot Frid pm) so now is AP who helps with the chooks. I saw that chooks can get Rotorvirus, which DS was hospitalised with at 18mths. I got it badly then, but wonder if that is what hen has or a similar transmittable illness.

HELP!

Squirdle Wed 20-Aug-08 22:20:16

I read this as sick children and then read the upped from 4 to 9 and thought 'blimey, that was quick!' I now have inserted my brain grin

Can't help at all, but I hope you are better soon.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 21-Aug-08 10:57:05

I have no experience of this, sorry. Speak to your GP about your own illness just to be on the safe side.

Do you have latex gloves for handling ill birds/cleaning out henhouse? If not, you can buy large boxes of them from your vet.

sylvev Thu 21-Aug-08 14:09:49

Hi
We had problems with chickens standing still asleep and sneezing/coughing. We de-liced again and wormed with flubenvet. Some improvement but they only perked up after injections of tylan at vets. All fine and laying now, though we can't eat their eggs for 30 days after last injection sad

Could it be a coincidence that you are poorly, I don't know much about what we can contract from chickens! Hope you feel better soon.

MarmadukeScarlet Thu 21-Aug-08 14:56:26

Thanks all.

Norks I was hoping you would be the font of all chicken knowledge!

Been to vet, she says not usual to get rotorvirus from chooks but can catch salmonella amongst other things. (I'm sure I am not sick enough for that, had that when in my early 20's. I (sorry tmi) upset tum, nausea, lack of appetite, temperature etc)

Are giving chook a broad spectrum oral ab but leaving her with the flock as she's been with them whilst sick and they will not accept her on return.

Have the latex gloves, have hibiscrub - both of which I keep in the horses first aid box.

I always wear gloves for cleaning out, though not disposable as they tend to be a bit flimsy.

Am limiting contact with chooks to just me, although it is very difficult shoving medicing down the beak of a struggling hen!

Vet was alarmed at thinness of hen, but all hens I got from this person were thin - the others are filling out nicely - one heritage skyline can get through the gauge (holes) of my poultry fence.

I should have taken notice/trusted my instincts as the place was dirty and disorganised, but I had driven 1.5 hours to get there and DD was desperate for some blue layers.

thesockmonsterofdoom Thu 21-Aug-08 15:52:38

where was it, so we don't go there. Hope you are all feeling better soon.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 21-Aug-08 20:39:43

Sorry I failed in my role "Wise Old Poultry Woman". grin

My chickens are never ill <touches wood>. They are either alive or dead. Nothing inbetween!

Callisto Fri 22-Aug-08 08:54:16

Marmaduke - can you 'out' the bad seller please? There are so many breeders out there who take advantage and there is no excuse for thin chooks (and if the breeder isn't feeding the chickens properly, chances are he/she won't be vaccinating properly either). Sorry to hear you and your hen are ill - no advice but hope you're both better soon.

MarmadukeScarlet Sun 31-Aug-08 23:47:24

I cannot prove she knowingly sold me sick chickens, but anyone buying chooks in the SE please CAT me and I'll confirm if it was my allegedly dodgy seller.

Health update - Rosa responded well to 2.5% Baytril antibiotics.

Daisy got sick, not falling asleep like Rosa but had the runs still eating and drinking fine. Took her to vet on Friday. She is on much higher dose of baytril. Discussed doing samples but it is £40, so we are going for the broad spec ab's. Discussed getting ab's for the water if any more get sick.

Amber (my really friendly chook) from my existing flock is now sick. Sat pm she didn't come running when I went up and pecked limply at the scraps I'd thrown, she was also standing with tail down and rump hunched up.

This am she hadn't got up by 9am. Crop felt spongy and half full, even though she'd not had access to food. She also has runs (although not orange) was sleeping next to the drinker for most of day, did pop out for a scratch around for a bit this pm when I was cleaning out. Lots of her feathers in the house and in the run where she had sitting. She layed and egg yesterday and today. Gave her a dose of Daisy's abs to get her started on the road to recovery - will go to the vet and get the soluble stuff tomorrow and dose the lot of them.

I however am back to normal-ish! It could have been I wasn't paying enough attention to what mushrooms I had been picking, but I think not am usually scrupulous in checking and other people were eating them fine.

I so wish I hadn't got these new ones, they have been really hard work.

TheDuchessOfNork Mon 01-Sep-08 00:23:47

Haven't sorted my CAT. Was the place MF in Kent? It's where I've bought hens before but they've all been fine.

I do hope the wide-spec ABs sort your whole flock out.

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 01-Sep-08 00:46:14

No, not Kent.

I was thinking of you today as I walked through my lush pasture, wet up to mid calf from pissing rain morning dew on the long grass. I even considered taking a pic and posting it on my profile (but then noticed how many docks there were blush and decided against!)

My ponies seem sound again, little sods, but I'll have to keep them starved until Nov!

Vet says the baytil is only in meat for 8 days after course, so hopefully won't have to throw the eggs for 30 days like some!

BloodySmartarse Mon 01-Sep-08 12:03:22

i got a couple of white star hybrids from somewhere in SE, right sketchy looking it was. had also driven far with excited children... so far they seem to be ok, so fingers crossed not as bad as your exp, poor you (and your hens). my mum was with us and she said the place made her think of the Deliverance!

one of my omlet hybrids needed ab's not too long after arriving and she responded well... after i doubled the dose that is. first 3-4 days there was no improvement so i just doubled the dose and she was much better v quickly.

anyhoo... hope your lot are ok asap.
[going outside to observe my lot for a bit]

MarmadukeScarlet Mon 01-Sep-08 14:13:52

Thanks Smartarse,

Called the Vet receptionist early and said need some soluble ABs as going to treat all of them, or else I am sure I will just be going in every week with a new sick bird.

Went in to get them and she had made up the same stuff I had already had - 9 times syringe down the neck twice daily!! I pointed out that I had asked for something for the drinker to dose them all, did get it in the end.

I only hope they all drink the right amount!

I hope your white stars continue in good health.

My chook who was really poorly yesterday has responded well to 3 (so far) doses and is not laying by the drinker today!

TheDuchessOfNork Mon 01-Sep-08 15:34:57

envy at your grass. The only things reaching mid-calf here are brambles, bracken and other crap!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now