Talk

Advanced search

thinking of getting chickens......

(12 Posts)
sunrays Mon 11-Aug-08 11:53:38

How much damage do they do to the lawn and garden? Do they have to be let out of the run regularly? During the week can't see me letting them out much. We have a cat too....will there be fights?

HaventSleptForAYear Mon 11-Aug-08 12:49:36

How big a run will you have?

All depends on your garden I would say.

We have a huge (2500m²) garden with a big lawn and we let them out over the winter. They are quite useful at eating weeds.

If you have a veg garden you will have to lock them up as soon as you sow or plant.

2 cats come through our garden and we have had no problems.

The chicken 'run"/enclosure itself is big in our garden but totally pecked bare - I guess if you had a small garden they would wreck it.

goingslowlymad Mon 11-Aug-08 12:53:26

Don't do it. They will wreck any average garden, destroy any grass and they shit more than you can ever believe possible.

The cat will be fine. Chickens can more than hold their own against the average moggy.

sunrays Mon 11-Aug-08 13:35:19

mmmm doesn't sound promising. thanks

crkm Mon 11-Aug-08 15:33:07

I have had my hens for 5 days. they are on grass at the moment - but will put them on bark chippings. they have eaten all the grass in their run. let them out for the first time today, they scrabbled in the mud and ate some worms and put themselves back in their cage! am slightly anxious about the grass - but cant wait for the eggs!!! ours isnt a particularly well done garden anyway - its full of play things for the kids. wouldnt want hens if i had a nicer garden!!

electricbarbarella Mon 11-Aug-08 18:38:44

I have a very small garden and I have 6 chooks, they6 are in a run that is big enough that they don't need to be out although i still let them out for a couple of hours a dy.
At first I had the run in one place and then when it was bare I moved it, this was going to be my plan but they seemed to get through the grass so quick that i put Aubiose in their run, which is a bit like wood chip. anyhow the bit they had wrecked after only a week turned into the lushist weed free healthy green grass I have ever seen. Mine have been out weeding all afternoon, they don't so that much poo, I just go round once I put them back in with y rubber gloves and pick it up, or hose it into the flower beds.
They are wonderful animals and so funny, they take very little care and the only thing they really need to be happy is enough room. I am trying to work out how I can get more in my garden.
i would definalty recommend them, i think everyone should havre them.

electricbarbarella Mon 11-Aug-08 18:40:55

oh and I have 2 cats and they are fine together, just stay out of each others way, would be about an even fight I think.
Did I mention that they are fab.
We spend most of the time sat ion the garden watching them.

sunrays Mon 11-Aug-08 20:20:54

Thanks electric. Sounds more positive. I aim to have a run big enough for them but I would also hope to let them out but think I wont manage it every day

threadsimon Mon 11-Aug-08 21:58:30

oh i LOVE my chickens
cant wait to get more... i am totlaly hooked...

electricbarbarella Tue 12-Aug-08 07:26:23

If you are going to have a big enough run then they will be fine, we have just been away for a week and they didn't go out at all. They won't be going out today either because it is so wet that they would trash the garden.
have an eglu cube with a 3m run for 6 chooks and it is plenty of space.

sunrays Tue 12-Aug-08 08:52:17

presumably someone was coming in to feed them while you where away? thats the other thing that is worrying me, asking neighbours to look after

electricbarbarella Tue 12-Aug-08 09:25:13

my mum fed them, they only need feeding once a day, 5 min job. you an leave them for a weekend but any longer would need someone just to top up food and water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now