Talk

Advanced search

i've been offered a trio of pekin bantams

(9 Posts)
overthemill Fri 08-Aug-08 09:08:37

and i want too say yes but how noisy is the cockerel likely to be? we've had chooks for years and years but never a cockerel!

overthemill Fri 08-Aug-08 09:09:20

ooh meant to say - we have a 250 foot garden and they are down the far end

Callisto Fri 08-Aug-08 10:00:54

Pekins are so sweet. I've no idea how noisy the rooster will be, but if he is relatively small he shouldn't make too much noise. It is all relative though, and be prepared for him crowing on and off all day, not just in the morning.

Also, if you're mixing the pekins with big chooks be aware that the pekins have short legs and can't fly too well so getting away from an attack by a bigger chicken may be difficult for them.

overthemill Fri 08-Aug-08 10:12:44

we've mixed types before and never had a problem. it's simply the amount of noise to expect. it will probably be ok but wondered if anybody had one!

twoGsinBuggerOff Sat 09-Aug-08 01:15:06

afaic make out, it depends on the individual cocks personality. where one may be a total pita, another may be marvellous. i guess its just a case of eating rehoming any antisocial cocks and getting in new ones, if you want one, till you find one that suits you/the hens.

TeeBee Sat 09-Aug-08 19:54:44

We were in exactly the same situation. The cock is not very loud at all and only crows for about half an hour in the morning (about 7ish), then nothing for the rest of the day. The seagulls are much noisier than our cock.

overthemill Sun 10-Aug-08 18:11:47

phew! cos i've said yes! now to see if they all get on...

overthemill Tue 12-Aug-08 11:27:15

coming tomorrow

StormInanEcup Thu 14-Aug-08 12:16:01

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now