Talk

Advanced search

what's the cheapest coop I can get?

(7 Posts)
Alambil Thu 07-Aug-08 22:35:06

Any ideas?

TeeBee Thu 07-Aug-08 22:59:30

Make one. My husband made one out of an old shed. It looks brilliant, much better and more robust than anything you could buy. And he has painted it a lovely pale green colour. Cost about £40. There aint no fox getting in that run...there is no room with three chickens and my DS in there most of the time.

Alambil Thu 07-Aug-08 23:03:20

lol ... I could get a shed from freecycle I guess!

How do you know what to do in it though?

<knows nothing - is a pipedream to have chickens>

OldGregg Fri 08-Aug-08 00:25:13

This chicken ark is £215. There is a website called ideas4pets. something?! that has some very cheap henhouses, but they are known to be a bit flimsy and the runs are tiny.

Unless you are going to let your chickens out daily to scratch around the garden, always get the biggest run you can afford and only put 2/3 hens in it. Seeing chickens running along the wire mesh, desperately trying to get out, is not nice.

TeeBee Sat 09-Aug-08 19:53:08

Just copy the designs of the ones you can buy - then make it stronger. Agree with OlgGregg, either make it big or just accept your garden will get a bit pecked whilst they are out. But on very rainy days, like today, when they would get soaked through, we are glad they can stay in because they have a bit of space.

objectivity Sat 09-Aug-08 19:57:04

LF, you really do only need an old shed or one of those tool sheds, i.e. little ones. Inside, all you really need is a perch, but you could make nesting boxes with MDF or similar. Making a secure run is most important. Lots of chicken wire and some uprights is all you need for that though.

objectivity Sat 09-Aug-08 19:58:07

You can come see my chicken shed - it is an old kennel I found in the garden where we live.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now