Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chick Color IDing.. Take yer bets!!

(4 Posts)
NutterlyUts Thu 24-Jul-08 18:33:43

Here are my chicks (at the mo.. today is day 21 and theres another 11 eggs in the incubator) and I'm having a bit of confusion over what color I've hatched!

These came out of eggs sold as Silkies (Bantams) and I have no reason to suspect they aren't. They have black skin and 5 toes and look like all the other silkie chicks on google, but their colors aren't what I expected? I expected to have white, black and partridge silkie chicks.

Black silkie chick

back

?White silkie chick #1
back

?White silkie chick #2 ( I am almost tempted to call this splash but I don't think it is?)
side
back

? Partridge silkie chick
back
side

3 non black ones for comparason

And their yellow friend, who I think is light sussex?
black wing dot above the little pin feathers

top0

top1

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Thu 24-Jul-08 22:30:12

I no nothing of Silkie colouring and the only Light Sussex chick I have had this year was a white chick with a couple of small black splodges. All my yellow chicks turned buff colours when they feathered up.

NutterlyUts Fri 25-Jul-08 08:03:01

I am supposed to have light sussex, maran and light sussex x rir in my incubator and the chick looks like none of these when I google so I'm foxed on it. I guess light sussex cause of the black on its wing but who knows.. they came from ebay!!

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Fri 25-Jul-08 08:12:15

Given that all my yellow chicks that went buff or reddish-brown colours were from Light Sussex hens x Vorwerk cock (who's reddish-brown), I'd bet that your yellow chick is the Lt Sussex x RIR. You might get a better idea of whats what when more chicks have hatched. Otherwise you'll have to wait and see...!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now