Talk

Advanced search

Is this safe to put in a brooder?

(10 Posts)
NutterlyUts Sun 20-Jul-08 16:15:18

http://www.supremepetfoods.com/science_carefresh.php

I got a small pack of this at the petshop yesterday with the view to putting it on the floor of the brooding pen since it said dust free and sawdust can be dusty

(I've found a US site where someone has used it no problem, but the more replies I get for yay/nay the happier i'll feel)

FabioUnblogged Sun 20-Jul-08 16:19:58

NutterlyUts Sun 20-Jul-08 16:32:18

what's with the dot? this is my 2nd thread i've been followed with a dot

ButterflyBessie Sun 20-Jul-08 19:54:25

dunno but here is another one

grin

ButterflyBessie Sun 20-Jul-08 19:55:00

perhaps not only are you nutterlyuts you are also dotty?wink

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Mon 21-Jul-08 10:51:29

link not working nuts... If it's some sort of paper bedding then it will be fine though if the shreds are long they may get wrapped around the chicks legs - especially if it gets damp from spilled water. I used horse woodshavings and later chopped straw and had no problems.

When is hatch due?

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Jul-08 11:00:21

During the first week or two of the chicks life they need to learn what is food and what is not, so yes you can put it in the brooder but you should cover it with newspaper / kitchen roll initially or the chicks will eat it (not hugely good for them). This was information that I picked up when googling re 'care of chicks' and it turned out to be sound advice. My chicks did indeed attempt to eat it (until I covered it)

I used woodshavings too (covered with newspaper)

handlemecarefully Mon 21-Jul-08 11:00:39

chicks 'lives'

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Mon 21-Jul-08 11:15:41

OK, so I am quite slack when it comes to chick care and just use whatever bedding happens to be in the barn!

BUT! the pampered incy chicks did have an electric hen, chick crumbs in a chick feeder etc but the broody hen, by comparison, took her 2 day old chicks out in the rain, dispensed with the bedding in the broody coop and encourages them to eat whatever food she could find including hard corn. And we haven't had a single chick die all year! So I deduce that they must be quite hardy!

NutterlyUts Mon 21-Jul-08 17:54:58

It's like mushed up toilet roll inner stuff (imagine giving an inner to a toddler to chew, then dry it out!) -a by product that normally gets dumped so hopefully quite eco wink
[
Thursday is day 21, so we're looking at anytime from then

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now