Talk

Advanced search

Chicken with a bad cough

(5 Posts)

My next door neighbout told be that one of his chickens has had an awful cough - he said it sounded like a goose. It went on for a bit and he spoke to a vet who didn't know what it was. He worms then regular. The chicken got weaker and he ended up necking it. Then one of his other chickens got a cough but seems to have recovered.

I'm just worried as their pen is so close to my chickens' pen they could touch beaks through the hedge if they wanted to. It was 2 weeks since the 2nd chicken recovered so am hoping whatever it was isn't going to kill them all off.

Any idea what ight have casued it? Chicken was only 18months old.

MehgaLegs Tue 15-Jul-08 11:09:10

chicken respiratory problems here

Good list of possibilities then. grin

Well I suppose its positive that its been 2 weeks with no poorly chickens.

tortoiseSHELL Tue 15-Jul-08 22:25:52

Just keep an eye on them - if they develop a cough, and particularly if they get bubbly eyes, go to the vet and ask for Tylan which is an AB that's particularly good for respiratory probs.

tortoiseSHELL Tue 15-Jul-08 22:26:36

THe other thing you can do is put citricidal in their water, which is really good for helping respiratory problems - it's a natural AB apparently, and doesn't have any implications for the eggs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now