Talk

Advanced search

what age do cockrels start to crow?

(5 Posts)
electricbarbarella Sun 13-Jul-08 07:48:56

One of my hens may be a cock and I am starting to worry as the evidence is stacking up against him, he will have to go back if it is a cock.
However this hen is not top of the pecking order that i can see, is 15weeks old and as only a very very small comb, isvery very gentle.
It is a salmon faverolli and has the colouring that from what I can see the males have but if it was as simple as colouring then surley the breeder would have known.
Any ideas?

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Sun 13-Jul-08 10:42:33

Cockerels do grow slower than hens, both in size, feather and comb, and do get pushed around and bullied by the hens until they're more grown-up. They start trying to crow from 6 months onwards - though my current one was at least 8 or 9 months old.

But by 15 weeks I would have thought 'he'd' have other features, such as the plumy tail feathers.

Post a good picture and MN will get judgey!

electricbarbarella Sun 13-Jul-08 13:23:00

s324.photobucket.com/albums/k354/charlienoyes/?special_track=nav_album_album

They are not great photo's I will try to get some later, I think it is a girl, comb barely existant, Judge away. smile

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Sun 13-Jul-08 21:37:36

I can't really tell from those photo's (you'll have to take some more grin!!). He/she is very upright/long necked in 3rd photo which is a bit cockerel-ish but it could just be an alert hen having a good look round.

<reserves judgement>

Incidentally I put pink or blue leg rings on all my 6 week old chicks last Monday and now I think I've got most of them wrong. So take no notice of me!

electricbarbarella Mon 14-Jul-08 07:16:50

Apparently it is deffo a cock, I have sent the photo's to a favorelle breeder, I am not sure why the breeder didn't know that though hmm apparently it is very obvious from the colouring in this breed.
I shall be sorry to send him back, i don't suppose there is any chance that he is a non crowing cockrel? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now