Talk

Advanced search

Can you recommend a product for a wound?

(8 Posts)
sylvev Wed 09-Jul-08 20:50:53

Hi
One of chickens came to us with a scab under her wing where she'd been picked on by older birds in her previous home. She is fine and has established herself as top chick here, (the other 3 are younger). However, we noticed this evening that she has knocked the scab off and it looks red and a bit sore. She doesn't seem bothered, in fact laid our first egg today! I've seen a wound product advertised, is there anything you would recommend? I don't think she is in danger of being pecked by the others as they seem in awe of her grin

motherhurdicure Wed 09-Jul-08 21:18:29

Message withdrawn

sylvev Wed 09-Jul-08 21:56:40

Thanks, where do you buy it from?

motherhurdicure Wed 09-Jul-08 22:27:41

Message withdrawn

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Wed 09-Jul-08 23:16:23

Agree, either purple spray or Animal Wound Powder (which comes in a small white bottle with a 'puffer' top). Either should be available from farm supply shops (ie. Scats), animal feed merchants, saddlers or pet shops. And the majority of online chicken shops have both.

The purple spray is also good to cover up bloody wounds as any bleeding will usually attract unwanted pecking attention - not a problem with your younger hens at the moment but it may happen in future.

motherhurdicure Wed 09-Jul-08 23:33:23

Message withdrawn

sylvev Thu 10-Jul-08 07:53:16

Thanks everyone, much appreciated. Wound looks better today, but I'll nip out and buy some powder/spray.

tortoiseSHELL Thu 10-Jul-08 22:46:40

I use veterinary wound powder, then gentian violet spray. You can also make a weak solution of tea tree oil, or savlon in water.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now