Talk

Advanced search

Guess what we are having for lunch on Sunday.

(13 Posts)
MehgaLegs Tue 08-Jul-08 11:13:11

The Sassos are ready. We are having two for lunch on Sat. Am feeling a little bit sad but also looking forward to see if all the egg turning, chick rearing, rat trapping, shed clearing has paid off. Will let you know.

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Tue 08-Jul-08 19:36:59

Mmm. Bread sauce & roast potatoes.

Veg from the garden too?

tortoiseSHELL Wed 09-Jul-08 14:37:32

Hope it's yummy!

motherhurdicure Wed 09-Jul-08 15:40:08

Message withdrawn

oggsfrog Wed 09-Jul-08 15:41:57

How old are they?

MehgaLegs Wed 09-Jul-08 18:42:25

Yes to veg from garden, broad beans, spinach and courgettes in abundance here.

Will do them this eve (DH will I still can't bring myself to do the deed, happy to pluck and draw though) and leave them to hang until Sat (not Sun)

They are 12 weeks, which according to the website where I got the eggs from is about right. They are a little on the light side but feel heavy when I lift them, and meaty.

oggsfrog Wed 09-Jul-08 18:53:15

I've never tried doing them that early. Let us know how they are.

The first time we ate any of ours I was surprised at the leg to breast meat ratio. Much more leg meat and much less breast as they'd been yomping around for months smile.

Will you be roasting them?

MehgaLegs Wed 09-Jul-08 20:03:39

They are supposedly fast growers and the breast looks quite plump. We are going to spit roast them over the bbq.

BronzeNemesis Wed 09-Jul-08 20:08:03

Oooh lovely. I'm looking forward to my hubbards. Only a few more weeks. Report back how they tasted. <remindsselftoeatquail>

TheDuchessOfNorksBride Wed 09-Jul-08 22:25:20

Our mongrels mostly Sussex/Vorwerks will be at least another 3 months yet. We'll probably have a couple for Harvest Festival though.

But my veg garden is virtually empty this year on account of the cot being full (again). grin

<reminds self to order quail eggs for the incy>

princessofpower Fri 11-Jul-08 21:31:40

Message withdrawn

MehgaLegs Mon 14-Jul-08 17:00:49

They got a reprieve as DH was poorly and then we were too busy over the w/end with birthday partying. Next w/end maybe.

Bronze Tue 15-Jul-08 19:42:36

Pop Mine are in a rabbit hutch and run. They're Calis/italian and they don't boink much. they seem happy as larry (whoever larry is)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now