Talk

Advanced search

Taking in a male chick from sons school...

(42 Posts)
franktheskank Sun 13-May-18 19:04:58

My sons class have eggs in their classroom and they said any one who wants a chick can have one. They only had one left and it's a boy so we said we'd take him when he's ready in a couple of weeks.

We have a large chicken coop that was here when we moved in already and have been thinking of getting chickens for a while, I've set about painting it and preparing it for chickens.smile

What I'm asking is what is the best way to do this? Do I have him on his own for a while then get some females to join him? Or should I get some females first ( I have space for about 6-8 chickens) before he gets here.

Any advice is appreciated grin

BeesAndMist Sun 13-May-18 19:06:12

Um, what are you going to do when he matures and you get lots of fertilised eggs?

BeesAndMist Sun 13-May-18 19:07:23

Also have you checked your allowed to keep a cockerel? You’re not allowed to in a lot of built up areas for obvious reasons!

Haint Sun 13-May-18 19:08:25

You know a male chick becomes a cockerel right? A noisy cockadoodledoing cockerel

ineedamoreadultieradult Sun 13-May-18 19:09:12

I wouldn't advise having a cockerel unless you have a lot of space, no need neighbours and your coop is a long way from your house.

xyzandabc Sun 13-May-18 19:11:07

Are you thinking you'll have a supply of eggs if you have chickens? Because if you have a cockrel in with them, surely you're going to end up with a load of chicks instead. What are you going to do with them?

Also likely to annoy the neighbors (and you) if he starts waking you all up every morning.

franktheskank Sun 13-May-18 19:12:40

Yes I'm aware he will become a cockerel grin

House and garden are huge and have only a couple of neighbours which aren't too close to my house,and they both keep chickens, one of which had a cockerel, so not worried about complaints.

BeesAndMist Sun 13-May-18 19:13:37

So you want to breed them then?

franktheskank Sun 13-May-18 19:13:53

Can anyone answer the op? What's the best way round to do it?

Whatsforu Sun 13-May-18 19:14:25

Em they only become chicks if they are left and a hen becomes broody and sits on them. People usually collect eggs each day. Noise may be an issue if you are in a built up area.

Racecardriver Sun 13-May-18 19:15:19

You should double check that you are actually allowed to keep a Cockrell.

villainousbroodmare Sun 13-May-18 19:15:23

Fertilised eggs don't matter, you wouldn't see any difference in appearance or taste. It's only if the hen sits on them uninterrupted for weeks and an embryo grows that there would be an issue. Lots of people with laying hens have a cockerel.
Obviously there is a noise issue though.

Also, OP, six or eight eggs a day is a huge number for a family once hens get into lay.

And did you know that they will trash your garden unless they have a lot of space?

franktheskank Sun 13-May-18 19:15:34

Not in a built up area, quite rural, I have neighbours but a few hundred yards away.

BeesAndMist Sun 13-May-18 19:15:41

It depends what you want to do. Do you want to breed them? Are you get the females at point of lay or will they be chicks too? If the chickens are mature I would keep the cockerel away until he’s a similar size. Are you going to keep them in the same coop?

xyzandabc Sun 13-May-18 19:16:03

Fair enough, you're a bit more prepared than the original post suggested. Maybe best to ask your neighbors with a cockrel for advise then. Probably far more knowledgeable than a bunch of internet randoms!

franktheskank Sun 13-May-18 19:16:12

6-8 eggs a day would be fine I have 7 children grin

PurpleDaisies Sun 13-May-18 19:17:37

What will happen to him if no one wants him?

franktheskank Sun 13-May-18 19:17:42

I don't know my neighbours at all, I don't even know their names. I've googled but I can't really find anything in what's the best way to do it , which is why I asked the chicken section on Mumsnet confused

Whatsforu Sun 13-May-18 19:18:01

I would get your hens first, then introduce him.

SirVixofVixHall Sun 13-May-18 19:18:10

He will be pretty tiny, and he will hate being alone so you need to get him some ladies of a similar size, or only slightly older, as soon as he comes to you. I took in an unwanted cockerel, I LOVE him. He is my favourite. He seems to keep things more peaceful and the hens ( I had three then, only two now, one v frail ) were much happier with him than without.
How can they tell he is male so early on ?
Btw I hate schools doing this. So irresponsible. Terrible message for the children.

PurpleDaisies Sun 13-May-18 19:18:38

Sorry, I totally misread the op...ignore me.

BeesAndMist Sun 13-May-18 19:19:06

If it’s Living Eggs, which most schools use, purple he’ll go back with the farmer when they collect their equipment and despatched quickly and humanely.

franktheskank Sun 13-May-18 19:19:10

I don want to breed them I'll be using the eggs every day, as far as I know it does t matter if they're fertilised it's only if you let them sit on them you get chicks.

I have a lot of space we have 1.3 acres.

PurpleDaisies Sun 13-May-18 19:19:27

Btw I hate schools doing this. So irresponsible. Terrible message for the children.

This with bells on.

BeesAndMist Sun 13-May-18 19:20:08

The breeds used for schools are hatched yellow for males, Brown for females. You can tell as soon as they’re dry.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: