Talk

Advanced search

Just found a chicken!

(9 Posts)
pinkhousesarebest Sat 11-Nov-17 17:01:14

Just found her wandering on the verge beside a busy road. Checked the one house within kms but they don't have chickens.(very rural). Am at a loss as to where she has come from but she was wet and freezing and she is now in our utility room. We can't keep her as we have a cat who will kill her within days. We have some people at the bottom of the lane who have chickens. How likely would it be that this girl could integrate a flock- they often range over the field Also what can I give her to eat? I would so love to keep her. It's my lifelong dream to have chickens.💕

Pixel Sun 12-Nov-17 00:17:08

Don't assume your cat will kill her. My cat is a real devil, has a reputation at the vet for being vicious and attacks foxes, but he's very nervous of our chickens and has never touched them.

Just sayin' smile

pinkhousesarebest Sun 12-Nov-17 09:52:44

Well we are going to test it this morning. She spent the night in a wicker box, came out for breakfast but is now back in the box clucking softly at us. What can I give her to eat though, she seems unimpressed by our offerings so far! (Can you tell I'm in love?).

Sarahjconnor Sun 12-Nov-17 12:16:07

Give her some porridge or other cereal and ask your neighbour to take her- they don’t do well alone. Poor old girl has prob stopped laying and been dumped sad

DullAndOld Sun 12-Nov-17 12:19:44

take her to the people that have chickens.
Yes to porridge oats or leftover pasta or rice.
She wont do well on her own, they need company.

ChristinaParsons Sun 12-Nov-17 12:23:27

Bread, wild bird food, fruit, salad. They need grit to digest their food. If you let her wander around the garden she will find some. Garden centres and equestrian stores usually stock chicken food

furlinedsheepskinjacket Sun 12-Nov-17 12:45:54

awwww i love these threads x

pinkhousesarebest Sun 12-Nov-17 15:21:32

Great news! Took her to my amazing neighbour who rescues old, clapped out animals. Honestly dd and I were in the animal equivalent of Hamleys. We have often stood at the gate watching but without this little chicken would never have had the afternoon we have just had. Anyway off she went, so happy she fell asleep in the lady's arms while she showed us round. So happy!!

TheQueenOfWands Sun 12-Nov-17 15:24:55

Chickens do excellent hugs.

Mine used to sit on the sofa with me. (I have no boundaries when it comes to animals.)

I think you should adopt her and make her your baby. My cats and chickens always got on fine.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now