Talk

Advanced search

Chickens not laying

(11 Posts)
BrokenStrings Sun 05-Nov-17 12:40:57

Hi,

New poster here.
We quite recently bought 3 chickens, 2 months or so ago. They were around 24 weeks old when we got them. We are novice chicken owners.

Since then the chickens have laid around 6 eggs between them. They have a chicken coop and a homemade large run that has been attached to their coop. They have pellets, corn, oyster shells, chicken grit and boredom busters. They have grass and plants etc to nibble on and have treats like crackers etc.

Is there anything more we can do to encourage them to lay? The eggs they have done so far have been small but fine and intact.

They are from the same herd and get on well, have shelter from the weather, have a nesting box full of straw.

I would appreciate and take on board any advice offered.

Thank you!

MrsA2015 Sun 05-Nov-17 12:42:50

I found our hens wouldn’t lay if they had to share the nesting box so got another, egg production upped since having their own rooms. Best of luck!

hmsbismark Sun 05-Nov-17 12:52:47

Hello. Are they moulting? This can make them go off their lay. If they have a choice, mine would eat corn and scraps rather than layers pellets, and again the egg production would be significantly reduced. The layers pellets contain everything they need to lay. Egg production can be a bit sporadic when they are young and getting used to a new situation anyway. Hope this helps
Hope this helps.

BrokenStrings Sun 05-Nov-17 12:56:36

Thanks for the quick replies.

I will be sure to get at least one other nesting box and see if that makes a difference.

They aren't moulting no, maybe a feather or two but nothing significant.
Do you think I should stop offering them anything else other than the pellets for a while and see if this makes a difference?

Thanks again!

TheDrsDocMartens Sun 05-Nov-17 13:03:16

Hens tend to lay less in winter as dark nights will affect them

CMOTDibbler Sun 05-Nov-17 13:14:18

Its just the day length - most chickens will stop laying or reduce the number of eggs a lot now until the days lengthen. Commercial hens are kept under lights to keep production up

hmsbismark Sun 05-Nov-17 13:18:56

Mine lay as usual all through the winter. I would just give them pellets if they were mine, also check they're not eating the eggs??

hmsbismark Sun 05-Nov-17 13:19:06

Mine lay as usual all through the winter. I would just give them pellets if they were mine, also check they're not eating the eggs??

BrokenStrings Sun 05-Nov-17 13:36:29

Thanks, I will just give them pellets and see how they get on. I am not worried in an egg sense (they are more like pets, we don't even eat that many eggs!) I am just worried they are not healthy/happy if they aren't laying.

I am pretty sure they aren't eating the eggs, we check several times a day and there are no signs of shell/broken eggs.

BrokenStrings Sat 18-Nov-17 12:35:29

One of the three chickens is laying consistently now, we know it is the same one laying every day.
So this at least points to them having suffecient food etc to lay!

prampushingdownthehighst Sat 18-Nov-17 12:40:02

Mine stop laying through the winter too now they are older.They did through the first few winters as the didn't have a big moult.
Also I still give corn occasionally as treat.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now