Talk

Advanced search

Where do you put bedding?

(10 Posts)
CoolBag Sun 17-Sep-17 21:33:38

This may be a stupid question, but where in your coop do you put bedding?
I have some easychick in the nest boxes, but they only go in there to lay eggs for a few minutes - I have to block them off at night otherwise they sleep in them and they get full of poo.

The coop floor is just the removable droppings tray under the perches, so that is newspaper.

So when people talk about bedding, where do they put it? And when do the chickens actually sit in it?

Imbroglio Mon 18-Sep-17 21:15:21

I put bedding in the nest box so that its comfy, nowhere else.

My current girls tend to roost outside in the summer but in the winter I'll have to do a quick de-poop in the nest box in the mornings because they like to suggle down in there.

CoolBag Tue 19-Sep-17 07:43:33

I am trying to stop them sleeping in nest boxes because I was having to change the bedding too much and the eggs were really mucky, so am blocking them off at night. So the bedding material really is just for egg-laying, they are hardly ever in there!

Ilovechocolate111 Tue 24-Oct-17 20:27:24

I use straw. I found using saw dust it gets mucky really fast. And news paper isn't good for them as its slippy and can give them spraggled legs. X

mycatthinksshesatiger Tue 24-Oct-17 22:10:07

I was wondering about this too. I have an eglu cube with 3 lovely girls. They all cuddle up in the nesting box at night but it gets messy quickly! I have straw in there, and sawdust in the droppings tray under the perching shelf. Could I put straw on the perches too? I hate to think of them cold in the winter.

Ilovechocolate111 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:22:58

Course you can. They will only kick it around anyway till they make a nest lol.. don't ever worry about them getting to cold. They will all huddle up together. X

Ilovechocolate111 Tue 24-Oct-17 22:28:23

And I've also noticed that when it's warm my hens sleep on the purches but when it's a bit chilly they sleep in one side of the nest box huddled up. My fattest hen will sit on the other 3 lol x

mycatthinksshesatiger Wed 25-Oct-17 08:00:30

Mine do the same - all on the perches when warmer and nesting box when cold. Nothing sweeter than seeing them all snuggled up togethersmile

Pixel Tue 26-Dec-17 19:31:16

Mine have hay just in the nest box in the summer and Aubiose in the rest of the coop but in the winter I take pity and just fill it all up with lots of hay on top of Aubiose so they don't get cold. I've got a horse and I'm buying about 30 bales of hay at a time anyway so it's the easiest way for me.
At the moment there seems to be two hens squashed into the nest box and the third at the other end in a nest she's made in the corner (I've taken the partition out of the nest box as it's easier to clean out).

Tika77 Tue 26-Dec-17 19:38:31

I have it in the coop on the floor as well. I'd be using newspaper if I had enough free ones delivered but the bedding lasts a week without needing to be changed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now