Talk

Advanced search

Arkus plastic chicken coop....

(15 Posts)
roughtobuff Mon 06-Mar-17 18:06:59

Does anyone have any experience of these? I have been looking for the right house for around 2 days now! I can't quite believe the cost of them!! I am looking to get 4 hens and would like a run and house, Arkus is looking like a more realistic price for us but I can't see much about them online.
If you have any advice please share!

Tiredbadger Thu 16-Mar-17 09:10:04

No advice but I've just come across them and they look great. I was planning on buying and eglu in a few months but arkus are much more reasonable. Did you buy one in the end?

roughtobuff Thu 16-Mar-17 20:40:18

I did buy one, awaiting delivery so I will update once it arrives!

Tiredbadger Fri 17-Mar-17 10:34:00

Excellent. Does delivery take long? I'm rather keen to get going with my hens!

roughtobuff Fri 17-Mar-17 11:07:52

I know The feeling!! I was anticipating delivery would be this week and promised my girls we would be getting our chooks this weekend but there has been a delay due to the pins not being in stock. I am thinking it will probably be here early next week. I ordered last Friday so it's been a week so far. I couldn't cope with the cost of an Eglu or a green frog though so I am happy to be wait a bit!!

knackeredinyorkshire Fri 17-Mar-17 11:17:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Tiredbadger Fri 17-Mar-17 11:49:02

That's good to know they withstand a good wash that's one of the reasons I want to get one.

Hope yours arrives soon rough, your girls must be so excited. Post pictures when it does!

roughtobuff Fri 17-Mar-17 18:16:31

It's coming tomorrow, yey! I don't know if we will get it up and surrounding fence in place to get the chickens tomorrow though. How did you insulate yours knackered?? What size do you have? I have got the medium one coming which they say is suitable for 6-8, is that hybrids or a more petit variety?!

roughtobuff Sat 18-Mar-17 15:33:49

It's here, it's up and it's got residents! It arrived fully assembled, it just needed the run attaching. So far I'm very pleased, it's a really good size so there should be plenty of space for a them.

roughtobuff Sat 18-Mar-17 15:37:19

Here it is!

Tiredbadger Sat 18-Mar-17 19:10:19

Looks great and so handy it came assembled. I've ordered one now, I checked they can deliver it this week coming so I can get my hens next Saturday 😃

I forgot to check though, does it look easy to clean out? That's what I really liked about the eglu was the pull out tray.

Pixel Sat 18-Mar-17 19:18:08

My wooden coop has a pull-out tray. I'd have to pull the whole thing away from the wall though as dh assembled it back to front hmm.

roughtobuff Sat 18-Mar-17 20:52:47

It looks pretty easy, it doesn't have a pull out tray, the whole roof comes off though so I'm planning on accessing through there. It might be worth getting in touch if you wanted a pull out tray, I know they are happy to do custom orders and they have been really helpful.

Pixel Mon 20-Mar-17 18:02:33

Actually I wouldn't bother. The tray is a pain anyway. If you've put any bedding or shavings in there it all just falls off and makes more mess. I just put a layer of newspaper in the bottom, then it's so easy to lift the roof up and roll up everything in one go and take it out. I pick out daily anyway so it doesn't get that messy, it's more a case of cleaning out to prevent red mites making a home underneath the paper (I give it a good spray before I put new stuff in).

czechpie Sat 08-Apr-17 07:51:40

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now