Talk

Advanced search

One chicken

(10 Posts)
TheGonnagle Mon 06-Mar-17 10:09:59

So this morning I had to have Mavis the chicken PTS.
Leaving elderly Ethel on her own. We've had such a bugger of a time with the defra regs over the winter (small garden, small run, miserable chickens etc) that we've decided we will not be continuing with chicken keeping after they pass, it's not fair to keep them in such a small run when they're used to ranging happily.
Has anyone ever kept one chicken? She's not the brightest of birds and Mavis quite often took her into other gardens and left her there, or left her on her own in our garden all day whilst she went off exploring.
I don't know who would want to rehome a 7 year old bird anyway. Just want to do the best for her so if anyone has any ideas/thoughts I'd really appreciate hearing them.

CMOTDibbler Mon 06-Mar-17 10:19:34

I'd be happy to have her - I do think chickens are happier together

hmsbismark Mon 06-Mar-17 10:21:05

Gosh, 7 is really old for a hen! Good old Ethel!.. When we were down to one we asked a nearby smallholder with a mixed flock of 100 or so to take her, she apparently was accepted quickly and lived out her days happily. Is there anyone you could ask?
Could you fasten some old CD's up for her so she can talk to her reflection?

Chasingsquirrels Mon 06-Mar-17 10:32:32

I took a friend's single hen to join mine (I had 2 or 3 at the time). She quickly integrated. I've since had 2 new sets, so that was probably 5+ years ago and she is still going strong.

TheGonnagle Mon 06-Mar-17 12:00:29

aww thanks for replying. So you think keeping her alone is a bit unfair? I just worry about her intergrating into anyone else setup and getting beaten up (and I love her and don't really want to not have her anymore- selfish)
The neighbours adore the chickens and I've been round to see them and they'll talk to her too. maybe she could have a human flock?

TheGonnagle Mon 06-Mar-17 12:00:59

Where are you dibbler?

CMOTDibbler Mon 06-Mar-17 12:52:57

Worcestershire - I just have three hens who normally are very free range

Evereve Mon 06-Mar-17 12:57:43

We have a similar problem though our hen is approx 5 years. Her first companion (sister actually) was taken by a fox, her second became ill and had to be put to sleep.
I'm reluctant to buy another hen but have concerns to you, op, about giving her away.
We still can't let them out at the moment can we either? She likes wandering around outside her run.

DoraChance Mon 06-Mar-17 13:07:17

I had a single chicken for a while. Our neighbours had a few that used to come into our garden every day and after a while we discovered one of them had stopped going home and was roosting in a bush. I had a chat with the neighbour and they weren't bothered so I bought her a coop and she was perfectly happy free ranging round the garden, then putting herself to bed each night. It goes against everything I've read about hens but she seemed happy hanging out with the cats and would even come into the kitchen.

TheGonnagle Mon 06-Mar-17 13:34:14

See Ethel also likes the kitchen very much. I think she thinks she's a human!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now