Talk

Advanced search

Rat question

(3 Posts)
Numberonecook Sun 19-Feb-17 00:39:32

We live next to a field and our very keen rat catcher cat brings home at least 1 mouse a week and 2 rats a month. Always dead.

We are thinking of getting chickens soon (about 3) and DH is worried the rat population will increase. Of course I will do my best to clear away food etc but my main worry is the pond we were thinking of having put in. Will this increase the likely hood of rats? Will it best to avoid a pond to minimise the rats? The cat is very good and there will be no food around

BeverleyBrook Mon 20-Feb-17 22:48:28

In my experience, chickens always equal rats. Be ready with traps and poison, and know they'll be back several times a year. Still worth it though..

Pixel Tue 21-Feb-17 00:22:59

We had rats after an old factory near us got knocked down so we had to take steps to get rid of them. Have not seen any since though and that was a few years ago. The main problem was that they dug their way up into the chickens' run so we cemented the floor and we started taking the food away at night. Also we have a cat who is a great hunter! I'm sure there are still some around but I don't think it's just because of the chickens. After all most of the neighbours put food out for wild birds and hedgehogs.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now