Talk

Advanced search

One legged cockerel - time to PTS?

(6 Posts)
chickensaresafehere Tue 31-Jan-17 11:08:56

Back story - Our cockerel was attacked by a rottweiler last summer,which resulted in a badly broken leg,vet attempted to splint it,but the foot died off.
After a great deal of thought & discussion with the vet,we decided to go ahead & amputate the leg (above the knee joint).This was last July.
The stump healed well but with him being such a big boy ( buff orpington mix) he has struggled to hop,he can get around but it is an effort & involves a lot of flapping,which tires him.
But he has seemed happy,he is eating & drinking & mingling with his ladies.But he has to be lifted in & out of the coop & I have to make sure he has food/water near him,so he gets enough to eat/drink.He has also stopped crowing recently.
With the avian flu risk & the containment procedures,my flock are confined to a smaller covered space & his mood seems to have dropped & I am struggling with the decision of if it is the right time to let him go.
It is such a difficult decision,as he is eating & drinking,but in the past few weeks,has not been moving around much & doesn't seem happy.He is still feisty,when I lift him in & out of the coop.But I worry about his quality of life.I would hate to think of him suffering,as he's such a special bird,with lots of character & such a fighter.But is it fair to let him carry on?

mypropertea Wed 01-Feb-17 14:52:48

This is so sad. Unfortunately, only you know when/if the time is right. You could try talking to a vet, maybe a chicken prosthetic (I am imagining he could look a little piratey) could be created for him? You need the super vet man on telly.

Ilovecaindingle Wed 01-Feb-17 14:58:32

I have just Googled 'homemade prosthetic chicken leg' and there are lots of ideas out there!! Seems a shame if he is eating /drinking and still flirting with his ladies to just let him go. . So get googling!!

chickensaresafehere Wed 01-Feb-17 15:50:01

I have looked into a prosthetic leg,but I am a bit wary about it.A lot of sites have said a homemade prosthetic,can cause damage,as they should be correctly shaped to the stump to avoid injury & really should be done by a professional (like Mr Fitzpatrick!!) but I don't have that kind of money sad
He has perked up today a bit,so I am happier.If his mood drops agai I will take him to the vet & ask his advice.

mypropertea Fri 10-Feb-17 20:51:46

How is he now?

Ilovecaindingle Fri 10-Feb-17 20:54:28

If his mood drops again then just threaten him with a prosthetic leg or an eye patch and a parrot. ..

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now