Talk

Advanced search

Cheap DIY coop ideas

(4 Posts)
OhisHOME Thu 12-Jan-17 21:22:25

Planning on getting chickens soon ish! Looking for ideas for a coop, planning to build a 5x5m run for them. I have an old plastic storage container I'm wondering if I could turn into a coop? Or any other ideas?

OhisHOME Thu 12-Jan-17 21:23:01

The storage container is the type that takes two wheelie bins.

Pixel Fri 13-Jan-17 18:41:07

Am trying to imagine the container! I think I know the sort you mean but am not really sure. Don't see why it couldn't be made into a coop, after all you can buy plastic coops now anyway and you wouldn't have to worry so much about red mite. I imagine you'd have to make sure they had decent ventilation though as it could get quite hot in the summer.

CaptainMorgansMistress Wed 18-Jan-17 16:26:24

I think you would have to think carefully about insulation and ventilation.
The plastic coops are twin-walled which gives them good insulation in winter and stops them getting too hot in summer and all have a few ventilation holes above the head height of the chickens as damp air from their breath at nighttime is very bad for their respiratory system.
I do know people who have successfully converted plastic Wendy houses (but these are usually twin walled)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now