Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Chickens have fleas - Help!

(6 Posts)
christmasmum Sun 08-Jan-17 20:38:21

So we've been keeping the chickens in the run (covered in netting) as per DEFRA rules. Every time we have been to see them for the last few weeks we've been getting bites. Ruled out red mite etc as no visible signs but managed to catch one of the buggers today and it's fleas. How on earth do we get rid of fleas while keeping the chickens in the run?? Any advice?!

Pixel Wed 11-Jan-17 22:05:11

Sorry I can't help as I didn't even realise they could get fleas blush. I did have a brief google and saw an ad for some louse powder that said it killed fleas as well so maybe you can find something you can sprinkle all around the run and in the coop and hope it does the job? The one I saw said not to put directly on the birds but I assume there must be some product that you can do that with. Think I'd ring the vet and ask if there is anything like Advocate or Frontline that would be safe for them?

PossumInAPearTree Wed 11-Jan-17 22:07:35

Ivermectin drops kill everything. I don't think they get fleas though. Will be lice or some sort of mite. Different types of mite, not just red mite.

PossumInAPearTree Wed 11-Jan-17 22:09:07

You don't need a prescription for ivermectin.

christmasmum Fri 13-Jan-17 16:19:51

We inspected under a microscope, definitely a flea after studying (grim) pictures on the internet!

user1472377586 Mon 06-Feb-17 06:15:03

Frontline spray is safe.
I use it every few months against red mite.

Just a small amount on the skin on the back for each hen.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now