Talk

Advanced search

Eglu Go Up capacity - mixed size hens

(4 Posts)
Knitella Fri 26-Aug-16 22:25:57

We've just got our Go Up (thank you Gumtree gods) and will be having a look at chickens this weekend. The manual says 2 large, 3 medium or 6 bantams. I'd like 3 different breeds and am wondering if, for example, 2 medium and 1 large hen would be ok. Anyone with a Go have any thoughts on this? I'll give the chickens the run of the lawn as much as possible if that's any help.

Pigeonpost Fri 26-Aug-16 22:29:22

I always in interpreted large as huge breeds like brahma. Our buff Orpington prob counts as large although she's all fluff. Most hybrid egg layers will fall into the medium category. Bantams are great though, pekins are my favourite. Chicken sleep all squashed up next to each other in 1/3 of the coop like bricks in a corner! Funny things. Good luck!

Knitella Fri 26-Aug-16 23:42:59

Thanks Pigeon! Yes, I was wondering about the orpingtons being "large" as I fancy one of them. I'll google the Pekins.

After literally years of "do I don't I??" re chickens I finally thought stuff it, life is short and am giving it a whirl. I'm excited smile

Pigeonpost Sat 27-Aug-16 17:01:25

Our orp is gorgeous though. So fluffy and lovely. We hatched some eggs under her earlier this year when she went broody and she was a brilliant mother hen too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now