A Happy Chicken?

(5 Posts)
TiggyD Wed 17-Feb-16 17:22:31

The school where I work has a chicken left. (Fox)

I love her and pick her up and let children carefully stroke her, but how can I tell she's happy? I was carrying her so loosely as I took her back to her house that she could have just flapped out my arms if she'd wanted to, but she didn't which I took as a good sign.

So how can you tell if a chicken is happy?

CMOTDibbler Wed 17-Feb-16 17:27:55

They are very good at letting you know that they aren't happy ime. Mine would peck you/struggle if unhappy being picked up, or just leg it. But then mine also stand on their coop and peck on the kitchen window to let me know they want feeding smile

chickensaresafehere Wed 17-Feb-16 17:31:16

Keeping one chicken on its own isn't great,they are flock animals & need to live with other chucks.
Any chance school can get more to keep her company?

Pigeonpost Wed 17-Feb-16 17:35:52

My chickens like a cuddle. Not all of them but some of them (especially the brown hens and the pekin bantams) are really friendly. One chicken by herself sounds a bit lonely though.

TiggyD Wed 17-Feb-16 17:40:31

I think they might be getting more after this one passes.

She certain seemed to like a cuddle. She didn't peck at everybody or struggle much. She didn't noticeably smile though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now