Talk

Advanced search

No eggs yet

(6 Posts)
TheWiseOldElf Sun 17-May-15 21:32:13

We bought 4 hybrid chickens 5 weeks ago. 1 has been laying daily since week 2 (pretty certain it's always the same one) but nothing yet from the other 3. They were sold as point of lay pullets and we we're told they were a week or two off laying age. They free range in the garden so it's not impossible that they've found a quiet spot elsewhere to lay but I have checked all the places that they seem to hang out and found nothing. The one who does lay always does so in the nesting box. Any advice/thought/experience?

schilke Mon 18-May-15 18:00:04

Our pol hens took a while to start laying. One started after 6 weeks - we knew it was the same one laying as her eggs were white and the others would be brown. The other 3 started a couple of weeks after her.

TheWiseOldElf Tue 19-May-15 15:54:28

Thanks, that's reassuring. I'm probably being impatient! Hopefully the rest will start laying soon.

schilke Tue 19-May-15 16:09:36

It's not just you. We were very impatient!

DuncanQuagmire Tue 19-May-15 16:12:33

only one of my hens is laying too.
apparently all kinds of things can put them off laying, drop in temp., change in wind direction, mood of hen etc.
so do not worry too much.
I would add though, to make sure that some are not laying elsewhere in your garden eg under a hedge or similar, assuming they are free range.

TheWiseOldElf Thu 21-May-15 21:10:12

We had two eggs today! They were in different nesting boxes (original layer always used the same box) and the new nesting box one was speckled which we haven't seen before so I'm pretty sure we have a new layer!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now