Talk

Advanced search

Rats!

(10 Posts)
Titsalinabumsquash Tue 28-Apr-15 17:40:16

I have discovered we have not so small and furry things living in the shed and feasting on the chicken pellets.

I have found lots and lots of poo and several holes around the fence and shed base.

I'll be purchasing some metal feed bins with lids tomorrow and scrubbing out the shed.

What else can I do to get rid of them and do I need to replace all the food?

I'm worried if I get rid of their food source they'll attack the chickens. confused

badRoly Tue 28-Apr-15 17:44:31

We have cats mainly for rat catching - we weren't going to replace our ageing cat until we watched a rat stroll happily along the garden path near where were sat!

Could you lay a trap in the shed if cats aren't a possibility?

Titsalinabumsquash Tue 28-Apr-15 18:38:15

I was very tempted by a cat, we had 3 that all passed away to the litter box in the sky over time, however after being reminded of the great flea infestation of a few years ago, I don't think I have the time, resources or sanity to do it all again, so I think we'll have to go with traps, but I'm not sure if it's better to put poison in an enclosed trap or lay humane traps and let the critters out in woodland several miles away, I'm not sure of the scale of the problem or how long we've had them.

namelessposter Tue 28-Apr-15 19:10:47

Poison in an enclosed trap, and three (not at all humane) traps baited with chocolate buttons cleared them up for me last month.

ThatBloodyWoman Tue 28-Apr-15 19:17:27

Feed in a metal bin.
Invest in a metal treadle feeder.
Only feed in the morning and remove all food at night.

namelessposter Tue 28-Apr-15 21:45:44

I agree with thatbloodywoman. I did the same.

Titsalinabumsquash Mon 04-May-15 20:33:34

I've done everything suggested, they've not touched the poison, not even a nibble hmm

They've started getting brave and walking around the garden day and night, the chickens see them off quite quickly, I've only actually seen one this evening and it's quite cute, I feel bad for trying to poison it, then DP pipes up that the ones he saw yesterday were much cuter because they're only babies! shock

We live in a house the back onto a train station, that's not going to be helping things is it?

Does anyone know if we can put anything in their holes? We've found a couple now under and alongside the shed.

Stratter5 Sun 10-May-15 10:09:44

I've got many one too. I put a baited unset trap down last night, hoping to get ratty addicted to Nutella, then I'll set it. I've also put the dirty litter from the ferrets litter trays down, and I'm eyeing up the hosepipe, might shove it down one of the holes, and flood the bastards out sad

Titsalinabumsquash Sun 10-May-15 11:37:17

I've discovered Pasta bait is the best, they've been taking it as soon as it's put out everyday now so I'm going to keep putting it out (and down their hole) until they stop taking it. (It does smell strangely appealing, I wonder if I'm part rat?! wink)

EssexMummy123 Fri 29-May-15 13:05:44

Rats don't like change / anything different, so may avoid the poison to begin with.

My (so called ex-feral) rescue cat is useless with anything bigger than a baby mouse or rabbit but I did find one of these (baited with peanut butter) to be really effective www.amazon.co.uk/Pest-Stop-PSERK-Electronic-Rat-Killer/dp/B000FII3YW

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now