Talk

Advanced search

Questions from a soon to be chicken owner

(2 Posts)
Thumbcat Sat 25-Apr-15 22:48:39

I'm hoping to get an eglu soon on ebay and have a few questions about looking after my chooks and keeping them healthy.

I'm planning to keep them on a paved area with a layer of auboise in the run for scratching about in (they'll have some free range time each day). How often will I need to change the auboise and hose down and disinfect the run area? Is Stalosan the best thing to disinfect with?

I'll give the coop itself a good clean each week. Do I need to use a special cleaning fluid or will just pressure washing it get rid of any nasties?

Is putting a bit of Diatom on the ends of the roosting bars and in the dust bath a good idea or is it unnecessary with a plastic coop?

If the chickens are wormed twice a year with Fublenvet and given apple cider vinegar in their water every so often, do I still need to use Verm-X in between times?

My list of necessary products is getting very long! Any advice greatly appreciated.

notasausage Sun 24-May-15 21:55:04

Our hens free range all the time so I can't comment on run maintenance. We have a green frog house and just hose it out each week. However, we have a real problem with lice at the moment and have had scaly leg mite over the winter, though they were kept in a stable a fair amount of the time due to the weather. We are now using diatom more agressively ie dousing them in it a few times a week and the lice egg sacks seem to be dying off. I would suggest checking and handling your chickens weekly to have a good look at them as we probably didn't notice until it was a well established infestation!

We just use the Flubenvet and I think that should be enough to keep on top of worms without using very-x which I've read is not that effective anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now