Talk

Advanced search

Help - neighbours chickens

(4 Posts)
Pos1 Tue 13-Jan-15 14:04:12

I'm looking after my neighbours 2 chickens for 2 weeks whilst they are on holiday. It's a bit of a faff, I'm annoyed that they asked to be honest, I've got two children who I am having to welly boot up each morning to go and feed in the dark before school, then go over at some point late morning/lunchtime to check for eggs the later at some point to take the good away. Anyway today I checked them at 7.30, was out for the morning and checked them at 1.30 and they've eaten an egg. I don't know what to do. I've covered it with straw as it was raining at the time and my 3 yr old was whining. They've been in their run for about 10 days now - I haven't got them out and don't really want to, have they got bored? Are they going to eat every egg now until my neighbours get home?

Springcleanish Tue 20-Jan-15 19:53:28

Next time, just say no smile
Don't worry about them eating the egg, probably one of them stood on it and it broke so they ate it. If they do start eating the eggs, their owners can set about stopping it when they get back, putting in rubber eggs, checking for eggs more often etc.
Twice a day should be fine to check them, morning to let them out and once dusk arrives to shut them in for the night, you can collect the eggs then. I certainly wouldn't expect more visits if I'd asked someone to chicken sit.
Good luck with the rest of the time.

EssexMummy123 Wed 28-Jan-15 22:38:47

Why do you have to feed them so early? just stick more food out. Mine get fed when their food is running low not daily.

BlessedAndGr8fulNoInLaws4Xmas Wed 11-Feb-15 23:07:02

Pos1 sounds like you have done a grand job smile.

I have never asked neighbours to look after our chooks I think it's a bit much to ask tbh.

Don't worry even if they do eat all the eggs! Owner can sort that out on return .

It sounds as though you have really cared for their welfare which is lovely smile .

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: