Talk

Advanced search

Eggs without shells

(4 Posts)
schilke Fri 21-Mar-14 14:29:51

My copper hybrid has started laying eggs with no shells or extremely thin shells. I have just let the out the run and as she came out there was a splat - yolk all over the ground. Then there was a shrivelled soft shell, which she struggled to get out.

This has been going on for a couple of weeks. When I clean the poo trays out I find a few dodgy eggs. The shells are so thin, that they have collapsed they come out.

She has access to oyster shells and a few hours free run round the garden each day. The other 3 are fine. They are all about 2. She has been laying well up until a few weeks ago. I last wormed them at the end of November. I use flubenvet marriages pellets. Originally I was told to worm 6 monthly, but have just been told it should be done 3 monthly. I will be worming next week. What can I do to help the shell?

Hazelbrowneyes Fri 21-Mar-14 14:36:11

My girls lay soft shells occasionally and have done since they were 2. I try to make sure they get a lot of oyster grit (although typically only one of mine will eat this) and I make a mash with the pellets, poultry spice (worth giving them this once a week at least) oyster shell, a bit of corn and baked egg shells which I crush into small pieces. They tend to get so excited at having mash, they eat it all without throwing out any of the oyster shell and egg shell out. Do they get sun? I find the more sun they get, the firmer the shells are too.

schilke Fri 21-Mar-14 15:56:35

Yes they do get sun. She is fine in herself. I could try baking egg shells, making mash and mixing it together.

NMFP Fri 21-Mar-14 21:19:46

I had one that did this from quite a young age. She eventually succumbed to peritonitis and I had her euthanased. She laid a shell-less egg every day for months. It happens. sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now