Talk

Advanced search

No eggs

(12 Posts)
Sorcha1966 Wed 19-Mar-14 21:16:26

My three girls came to us as POL on Feb 14th. They have not laid a single egg - any of them - in 4+ weeks..

is this unusual?
why might it be ?
Can I d anything to encourage them to ly ?

They seem very healthy ...

TunipTheUnconquerable Wed 19-Mar-14 21:19:18

Point of lay doesn't mean they're going to start laying immediately - it can mean in the next couple of months, or longer if it's over the winter.
Given the time of year it won't be that holding them up, but I'd give it another month before worrying. I assume you're feeding them layers' feed so it'll have the right balance of nutrients.

babyboomersrock Wed 19-Mar-14 21:21:31

Probably just too soon - just wait until the days are longer and they'll be fine. They need lots of daylight to get going. What breed are they?

Breeders are sometimes a bit vague (ahem) about what they mean by "POL".

I assume you have them on good quality layers' pellets and that they have access to the outdoors as early as possible in the day?

Good luck!

babyboomersrock Wed 19-Mar-14 21:23:23

Sorry...slow typing! TTU said it all.

Chasingsquirrels Thu 20-Mar-14 19:58:31

I got new birds 24th Feb, apparently 17 weeks.
I hoping I get eggs over the next few weeks, particularly from the white leghorn as they are apparently earlier layers.
The leghorn and black tail are looking a bit more mature, comb growing a bit etc but the Nera's comb doesn't seem to have grown at all so I guess she will be a bit later.
My old hen came back into lay the day I got the new birds so at least I'm getting one egg a day.

guineapig1 Fri 21-Mar-14 21:52:10

As previous poster suggested just give them a bit of time, some start laying earlier than others and if can take a while to settle in, especially at pol stage and given the time of year. I got my first chickens at pol several years ago in august. My first eggs came about a fortnight before Christmas when it was -4 outside...I'd almost given up hope but have pretty much had eggs consistently since then bar the odd couple of weeks.

MisForMumNotMaid Fri 21-Mar-14 21:56:14

Don't they typically come into lay between 20 and 24 weeks and people call them pol from about 16 weeks onwards.

Jaynebxl Tue 01-Apr-14 09:20:34

Definitely too early to worry. We got ours at about 16 weeks. One laid the next morning but most of the others took up to 7 weeks to get laying.

schilke Tue 01-Apr-14 09:25:17

We got 4 POL chickens one September. Mid November one started laying. The other 3 didn't start until December, so you might have to wait a bit longer!

SimLondon Thu 03-Apr-14 22:51:52

White leghorns are fab - they lay large white eggs and eat less, i'm on my second, in fact around here they are hugely popular and you have to get on a waiting list for one :-)

Chasingsquirrels Fri 04-Apr-14 13:23:19

the leghorn is certainly a more slender bird, no idea if she eats less! Her eggs are still quite small and similar in size to the others we are getting but she has only been laying for a couple of weeks.

Pixel Fri 04-Apr-14 20:20:58

We are only getting two eggs a day atm. Always one enormous one (ouch) and one tiny one! Made it very difficult the other day when my cake recipe said '6 medium eggs' confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now