Talk

Advanced search

Can I have your top tips for a newbie please.

(5 Posts)
ineedsomeinspiration Sat 15-Mar-14 20:44:40

Hello all,
We are hoping to move house and get a bigger garden. We would like 2-4 chickens but as a complete novice what would be your top tips?
We are a family of 3 so would two chickens provide a reasonable amount of eggs?
Anyone got experience of having chickens alongside a dog?
Thanks

AHardDaysWrite Sat 15-Mar-14 20:53:05

Chickens are not compatible with a nice garden. They scratch in soil/lawns, a lot. And they poo everywhere, and chicken poo pongs. So you either have to accept that you won't have a nice garden, or confine them to a run. If you use a run, bear in mind that if it's a permanent one in one place, they will turn any soil/grass into a mud pit - that's why people often keep them on chippings. Alternatively you can get a moveable run and move it round the garden.

Dog-wise, depends on your pooch. Some dogs are fine, others can never be trusted. Personally I'd never trust a terrier or other dog with a high prey drive around chickens. Foxes are your biggest threat - you must make your run and coop fox-proof or your hens will quickly be eaten (and foxes play with their food - not pleasant).

ineedsomeinspiration Sat 15-Mar-14 21:03:37

Ok well it depends on the size of the garden we get as to whether we'd get a movable or fixed run.
Think it would be best to have them in a run as could guarantee they are safe from the dog.
He is an English Bull Terrier but doesn't chase ducks or swans where we walk. I would rather not risk him being able to get to them though.
I would make sure everything is fox proof for sure.

polkadotdelight Sat 15-Mar-14 21:05:22

Firstly I was always advised to get a minimum of 3 because they are flock animals so if you were to lose one there wouldn't be one lonely chicken left.

Laying depends on the breed you choose, I have 3 bantams and average 2/day but some of the hybrids etc lay more. You may find laying tails off over winter when light levels are lower and chickens only lay for a limited number of years.

They do indeed trash the garden, my ladies are known as 'The destroyers' and I'm still amazed at the amount of poo produced!

I currently have a 3m run on our patio (solves the mud issue and foxes cant dig under it) and use hardwood chips which I rake over and sprinkle sanitising powder onto.

I adore my hens, I've speny loads

polkadotdelight Sat 15-Mar-14 21:06:47

Sorry, loads of time in the garden and they are really really friendly. They are my hobby and despite the mess I love them to bits!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now