Talk

Advanced search

need advice - chicken seriously injured

(4 Posts)
maxpower Thu 23-May-13 20:36:05

We think one of our chickens was attacked by a fox last night. She's alive and behaving normally right now but has clearly sustained fatal injuries. I won't go into details because it really is awful. Dh and I are a bit squeamish so will have to take her to the vet to have her put down. Will any vet do this? Any idea of the cost? To make things worse we're off on holiday tomorrow afternoon so need to get this sorted. Tia

Blackpuddingbertha Thu 23-May-13 22:02:57

Sorry, but if I were you I wouldn't leave her to suffer overnight sad. We recently had to 'despatch' one of ours following a massive prolapse. Block & axe. It's far kinder, she is fairly unlikely to make it through the night anyway as they tend to suffer greatly from shock.

If you do go down the vet route you will need to phone around. Most don't see chickens.

Good luck

VivaLeBeaver Thu 23-May-13 22:08:24

Any vet will see a chicken to put it down. My vet charges £3 to put a chicken down. But like black pudding said you really need to try and put her out of her misery now.

thereinmadnesslies Thu 23-May-13 23:23:00

Do you know any other chicken keepers who could pop round to do the dispatching?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now