Talk

Advanced search

Why is the eglu so popular?

(4 Posts)
lemonstartree Fri 23-Sep-11 19:22:30

We are considering keeping some chickens. I've been looking at various options wrt coops/ runs etc. We do have foxes in the vicinity so obviously safety is an issue but my partner will sink some wire into the ground around whatever we get to protect them

The eglu is VERY expensive...

I'm wondering if I am missing something ? what would be wrong with this www.henhouseworld.co.uk/ch103.htm for example ( with the run obviously?) we are looking at 3-4 hens....

Any advice gratefully received

thanks

Hangingbellyofbabylon Fri 23-Sep-11 22:54:47

I think Eglus are popular because they are plastic which makes them easy to clean and also helps to deter red mites. I think people also like the fact you can buy a complete kit including the hens. I think they are expensive for what they are. We bought a plastic house from ebay which is amazing, much cheaper than eglu and is so easy to clean. We also have a walk-in run which makes it easier to go in and fill up feeders etc.

The other thing is to consider buying a bigger hen house than you think you'll need - we intended to have 3 birds but 6 months on have 5 hens... so far.. grin

msbuggywinkle Tue 27-Sep-11 18:49:53

We love our Eglu. It takes about five minutes to clean out with the pressure washer, looks good, is light to move around and easy to take apart so our chooks can go on holiday to PIL. They are expensive, but that really is the only bad thing about them.

Grockle Wed 28-Sep-11 06:37:26

I love my Eglus (one new, one second hand). They easy to clean out and the cube is easy to move. I agree re buying a bigger house than you expect to need. We went from 3 hens to 6 within a few months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now