Talk

Advanced search

Sour crop?

(3 Posts)
Hangingbellyofbabylon Sun 11-Sep-11 22:02:10

Poor old Queen Charlotte our Rhode Island Red has sour crop. On Thursday it was hanging low and very sloshy. The vet emptied her crop and gave us Avipro plus. Her crop has not filled as much as before but today it was still quite sloshy and I emptied a fair bit from her. Does anyone have experience of this and how to get on top of it? Other than the crop she is fine, eating well, good comb, laying still. I don't want to go over-board but would like to clear up the sour crop as it is really hanging around.

YougreatPamplemousse Sun 11-Sep-11 22:07:18

We used to mix live yogurt with layers mash and feed it to them to allow the good bacteria to build up, also my mum bought apple cider vinegar from the animal food supplier (not supermarket stuff but stuff for horses) and mixed 5ml into every litre of water for them to drink. It should take 3/4 days to clear if it doesn't then you may need to get ant-ifungal meds from the vet. We only had to do that once in all the years we had chooks.

Hangingbellyofbabylon Mon 12-Sep-11 00:27:49

thanks pamplemousse - the avipro is like a powdered form of live yoghurt and they already have apple cider vinegar. I think a return trip to the vets for anti-fungal meds might be in order. Glad to hear it's not too common a problem hopefully smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now