Talk

Advanced search

Only one egg a day..

(7 Posts)
Pisky Fri 09-Sep-11 19:15:49

and then sometimes none!

We have young 5 bantam ladies (and a cockerel) and have been having one egg most days since someone started laying mid last week - but never any more.

Not sure if its just one who is laying and the others will catch up soon or if they are taking turns...

They hatched end April (I think - we had them from FIL).

They have layers pellets, a large run with mainly mud and some grass, veg tops (eg from carrots from the garden - not until about 4pm).

Eating about half the normal amount of pellets a day which I figure is reasonable as half the size as normal being bantams.

Any ideas why we are not getting more eggs? Just patience required?

faverolles Fri 09-Sep-11 19:20:19

Just a case of patience I'm afraid. They do take a while to get into the swing of things, plus this time of year when daylight hours are reducing, realistically it may be next february/march until they all lay reliably.

mummymeister Fri 09-Sep-11 22:41:42

Ours are usually good layers during the right time of year but already this year they are tailing off. I think this might be the end of it for this year wait and see what happens when we start getting more daylight again. we microwave our old egg shells and crush them up and feed them back to them which seems to help with laying.

Pisky Tue 13-Sep-11 16:53:37

I'm not good at being patient...

Still only one a day though so looks like I'll have to be!

kokorako Fri 16-Sep-11 12:36:35

I've got 3 hens (sorry not bantams) and they never lay well from September because they are starting their moult. But in January, just when you think it can't get any colder, the hens seem to notice the days getting longer and WOW you start getting an egg or two from them. Next year Pisky those bantams will make you happy!

Pisky Mon 19-Sep-11 20:45:02

Will save the banty eggs for the kids then and give in and buy some for us/cooking.

Roll on January!!

Pisky Wed 05-Oct-11 10:08:56

Well, the last few days we have had two eggs so another lady must now be laying. smile

Maybe soon I'll be able to stop buying eggs...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now