Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone tell me why my DC ( dear chickens ! ) keep eating their egss please .?

(7 Posts)
Timetochange70 Thu 08-Sep-11 00:06:57

They have grit, they have layers pellets and are cleaned regularly.
We,ve tried blowing the egg injecting it with mustard.
Am now thinking it's time to set them ,!

duchesse Thu 08-Sep-11 00:19:19

Do they have access to green food stuffs as well (grass or brassicas etc...)? Chickens can start egg-eating from nutritional deficiency. I've never found mine will willingly eat layers' pellets tbh. Even if they're really hungry they'd rather leave pellets and wait for evening corn.

Unfortunately egg-eating is catching. I've read several sites that suggest catching and culling the culprit(s) is the only solution, but it's worth trying more greens first I think.

mummymeister Thu 08-Sep-11 13:09:16

Once they start doing it it is difficult to stop them as duchesse says there is only one sure way. you could try a clutch of china eggs which they have a go at but can't break and it can break the cycle. they usually start eating them because of a deficiency but then it becomes a habit. get some china eggs and they might get the message

faverolles Mon 12-Sep-11 11:58:21

We've had some success by putting a few golf balls in the nest boxes and trying to check for eggs very regularly for a week (not so easy if you work)
It seems to be a habit for some chickens, so if you can beat them to the eggs it is possible to break the habit.

Insomnia11 Tue 13-Sep-11 17:56:31

Do they lay eggs early in the morning? If so you may have to get up earlier to let them out, or get an automatic door/door opener for the purpose. We are lucky that ours don't seem to lay until 8am or so at the earliest.

Sometimes it's hunger - do you feed them enough? Mine have layers pellets available during the day but poultry wheat in the evening - complex carbs which fill them up until morning. Plus a few scraps like spinach/tomatoes. Or a deficiency, do you have grit available for them to eat? Perhaps try some poultry cider vinegar in their water to boost them up a bit.

babycham42 Sun 02-Oct-11 12:57:04

For us,increasing their freedom to roam seems to minimize the problem - I"m reckoning with ours it was a boredom/habit cycle so we let them out of run into garden to roam as early as possible to as late as possible.Has also helped a feather pecking problem (rescue chooks).We have also introduced oyster shell so that could be a factor too and increased range of diet to include corn as well as pellets and scraps.I love my chooks smile

Earthdog Mon 03-Oct-11 21:26:24

I have always managed to cure egg eating by using 'killer eggs' for about 3 to 4 days or so; I just break the eggs, empty the contents and fill them with mustard, chillie powder, pepper, vinegar and anything else in that line. Put a few in a day it always seems to do the trick.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now