Talk

Advanced search

Chicken First Aid - Emergency kit

(4 Posts)
MissBeehiving Sun 21-Aug-11 22:11:23

This thought came to me tonight as I was making a chicken vomit (sour crop), as to whether that was a particular low in my chicken keeping career. Certainly it rivalled having to stick a lubricated digit up a chicken's arse, grin but it did get me thinking about what potions and lotions I had in my kit to deal with chicken emergencies or general healthcare.

This is what I have;

Mites/lice/worms - ACV, Flubenvet, Frontline, Ivermectin, louse/redmite powder, pigeon mite killer spray, surgical spirit, Vaseline, Creocote (not for application to chicken smile)

Injuries - tape, wound powder, anti bac spray, violet spray

ABs - Aureomycin/Tylan/Baytril

Other - eye balm, Cod Liver oil, vitamin supplements, Udder cream, coconut oil, Respite, Eucalyptus Oil, olive oil, Flexitol, syringes, garlic, seaweed, nail clippers, nail file, beak bits

What's in yours?

Pisky Mon 22-Aug-11 14:08:08

ummm -nothing?

We got our chickens from FIL - who hasn't told us we need anything (he has kept chickens for years).

We do have vets in the family though who we could call for advice.

noniks Mon 22-Aug-11 15:18:40

Citricidal - concentrated grapefruit seed extract
Fab for sniffles and colds

Does anyone know how to use frontline for hens? Have used for cats and dogs - is this the same stuff and do you dilute it?

MissBeehiving Mon 22-Aug-11 16:24:41

How lovely to have vets in the family Pisky smile I keep trying to persuade DS1 that he wants to be a vet entirely for my benefit.

noniks - it is the same stuff

It's not licenced for chickens but vets often prescribe it off licence. Mine recommends 3/4 drops for large fowl 2/3 for smaller chickens or bantams. Egg withdrawal is 7 days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now