Talk

Advanced search

Fox - help!

(6 Posts)
CadleCrap Thu 18-Aug-11 09:38:19

There is a young fox lurking around my chicken run in the morning when I go to feed them. I have also seen it in the early evening. The run is totally secure so I have no worries there, but we like to let them out in the garden once a day.

Any one got any suggestions for keeping them away?

DH has offered to "water" the garden - does thos actually work?

Grockle Thu 18-Aug-11 09:41:05

No idea but my DP 'waters the garden' and I haven't seen my fox for a while.

mummymeister Thu 18-Aug-11 12:08:38

Yes, the hormones in male urine (including dogs!) does deter them but you have to keep at it pretty constantly. Does the fox run off when it sees you or is it becoming bold? i am worried that even though you think the run is secure a really determined fox will get in especially one that is hungry. Try also a radio on low as you put them to bed tuned to a talking station as apparently this puts the fox off as well. If he is becoming bold then i would suggest shoot him but realise that this isnt for everyone!

Grockle Thu 18-Aug-11 12:18:40

My instinct was to shoot him too grin

A fox stole my lovely ex-batt, Lucky, (unfortunate nameblush) and I'm very paranoid about it taking the others. I keep meAing to buy the chooks a cheap radio to help deter the fox

CadleCrap Thu 18-Aug-11 13:59:44

DH is pretty fox paranoid so wheh he built the run, he concreted in the wire, so it won't be able to dig it's way in.
Can't shoot it - don't have a gun, unless you count DS's nerf gun grin

The fox isn't bold and runs off as soon as it hears the back door.

Will try a radio.

Punkatheart Sat 20-Aug-11 18:45:44

Nothing can be relied on for a hungry fox. But you can deter. Have you thought of a Foxwatch device. We have two and have seen the fox approach, set it off, shake its head and run away - so we know it works. If your chickens are freeranging, the only deterrent is you sitting and watching them.

We have successfully now foxproofed our garden and luckily, we only have nocturnal foxes. But I never assume anything.

Shooting them does not work. Another fox will move into the dead fox's territory almost immediately.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now